Why Women has to shave...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Bostonensis, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Hopefully we can lead some lights on why we do & men don't. BTW,me don't.
  2. kirakyoumou

kirakyoumou Well-Known Member

patriarchy society? I wish more guys would shave their armpits. T_T
  3. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I read once that it goes all the way back to the middle ages, where body hair equated power and virility. So painters of the time started painting women virtually hairless (except for the hair on there head) and you notice in some paintings like the "mona lisa" she has no eyebrows.
    I guess it transcended time albeit it wasn't as big until the 1900's when people advertising women's products brought the ideal back in advertisements where a woman is only beautiful if she is virtually hairless with waxing, depilatories, shaving.
    I personally don't care about having hairless legs,armpits or whatever. I'm not going to spend endless amounts of time and money making something go away if it's only going to grow back in a day.
  4. Raven

Raven Guest

Who says you have to shave, go for it and don't. I am male and I shave because my face is itchy if I don't maybe women do it for the same reason??
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Society dictates us too. At least in the US.
  6. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I shave under my arms.. but I dont shave my legs. to be honest, I can't be bothered lol, so I dont. And I usually wear jeans or trakkies anyway, or my uniform covers my legs up enough for it not to matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.