why wont they leave him alone?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by vbuk, Apr 22, 2007.

1. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

i just need to write somethings. i just got home from a rugby match. we got beat and were shockingly bad. but we have being promoted so its not a massive deal that we got beat.

before the match they read out the teams. all our players - like normal - get a cheer when their name is read out - apart from one. this one guy who has played for us for a while got booed. the coach dropped him from a couple of matches recently but i found no reason for him to be booed. this was even before the match. imagine what it must be like for 5 thousand of your own 'supporters' to be booing and shouting obsenities towards you. i was so shocked n upset by this. im sorry to go on but usually the fans get behind the full team. the whole match i watched him. he didnt look good. fitness was fine but he just didnt seem to have any encouragement from anyone. now this guy is very tall. hes an excellent goal kicker and has led us through alot - including a promotion. why r they turning on him? he lost total concentration at one point cos of it and one of the other players had a go at him. i kept thinking maybe he is depressed. i dont know him or n e thing about him. but he gave the impression he was. i just wanted to give him a hug. when we lost he still went over to the 'fans' to clapped along with the other players.

i just hope he is alright. its bad but i just feel like crying.

sorry to moan on - i know this isnt really significant here but just wanted to get it off my chest

Clare x

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There is nothing insignificant about what you had to say vbuck. No one deserves to be treated like that. It is things of this nature that can have a profound effect on us all. You have already been effected by seeing the unfairness. Others in the crowd may have been as well. They are a team, and every last one of them should be treated with dignity and respect, on and off the field. It makes me sad to think people can be that cruel to one another. Thank you for caring about this person vbuck. :hug:

3. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

its just bullying - i bet if one of them was stood infront of him they wud bottle it! wudnt say a word. they r cowards

4. Cestmoi

Cestmoi Well-Known Member

There's a very similar case of a player in the soccer club I support. I can understand how terrible it must be, if that player lacks confidence or is depressed as you say.

However, this pretty much what watching sports is about. As much as it needs to cheer, the crowd also often needs to bash someone. That player is payed a crapload of money to kick a ball. On its own, being criticised for doing it badly, is nothing to care about imho (or, in my club's case, our fans often bash the players for not playing passionately enough for the team). Fact is, these guys are professionals and more often than not don't give a damn about what the crowd says.

5. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

it did affect his game badly - his head wasnt with it. which obviously made the booing more. i think whatever is going on will come out in the press today so will have to see.

gotta run x