Why would anyone still have depression after 15 years of treatment?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by 0000, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0000

0000 Active Member

Why would anyone still have depression after 15 years of treatment?

Is it not meant to be treatable?

2. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

Thats the way how mind works... you need to learn how to fight it. Remember, we are here for you! :hug:

3. Perishable

Perishable Well-Known Member

Depends on what triggers them I suppose.
    That has a little hilarity in it, doesn't it...Why even waste 15 years? :blink:

4. 0000

0000 Active Member

in what respect has 15 years been wasted perishable?

5. Wierd

Wierd Well-Known Member

The sad truth is that if you try to treat depression with drugs, you are treating it as long as you take the drugs, not curing it. The way to permanent rid yourself of it is not through drugs but through finding happiness within yourself, since other things such as friendships, relationships, and material wealth are fleeting too.

When you treat something, you just temporarily relieve the symptoms, and it might come back as soon as you stop treating it. So even if it is "treatable", you might end up "treating" it all your life and it'll come back again once you stop.. maybe what you're asking is why it's not cured.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  6. 0000

0000 Active Member

Good post

7. booeyburgers

booeyburgers Active Member

medicine never works on your brain. only on sicknesses. have come to that conclusion. find something that makes you smile and continue to do that. i believe this is the only way to get rid of "depression".

i think they named it that just to sell more medicine and my the drugs companies richer... I bet weed would be alot better than the pills they give ya....

8. aramaki

aramaki Active Member

Medicine does work on the brain. It's a very physical thing - it can be affected by drugs that bind to, or block, binding sites on the synapses (parts of nerve cells that link to other nerve cells). It might not work so well on the mind - belief systems and so on...

I think the chemical treatment of depression is, as you say, just relieving symptoms, and is a stopgap, while waiting for something else to turn up, so to speak.

But depression has a physical and cognitive component. Depressive thoughts may trigger the physical, chemical aspect of depression, but also, chemical aspects of depression can also engender depressive thoughts. Some depression can be chemical in origin, and some can be cognitive in origin. It's a chicken-and-egg scenarion that is hard to find the ultimate cause of...

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20030721-000002.html

I think this article explains it better than I can...

9. 0000

0000 Active Member

Thanks Aramaki, reading that now>>>

10. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Maybe because depression is a deep rooted spiritual problem, but 'treatment' aims to re-engineer the individual back in to participating in an anti-humane system based on money, which was a major contributory factor in their downfall in the first place.
    As the UN defines it, a good citizen is someone who produces and consumes. Humans become batteries & humanity goes out the window. To hell with the individual.
    It's a sick system.
    I commend you 0000 for persisting with 15 years of treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have been fighting it all my life! The last fourteen years have been locked up in my bedroom with no outside contact with anyone. It's a chemical imbalance and just two of the things I suffer from are augoriphobia, and socialphobia. I'm sorry if you think I am a waste of good air, and I self pity myself. Go tell it to my doctors and my therapist. I would like to see that. My therapist would tear your head off and shit down your neck. She is very protective of me because of my suicidal ideations from what i'm told will be with me the rest of my life. If you find an answer to your question let me know because one thing you forget is we are all individuals with different problems.~Joseph~

12. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

It is possible (but I'm not judging you of anything) that depression persists because on some level the sufferer does not want to recover. For example, there was a case where a daughter had to spend a lot of her time caring for her disabled and greatly enfeebled mother. Now she had two brothers, but they refused any responsibility, leaving her as the sole carer. She eventually became severely depressed, and was unable to look after her mother so she was sent to a nursing home and the two brothers had to come and tend to her.

The daughter's depression persisted, despite all the medication and treatment she was given. And it turned out that on a sub-conscious level she wished to remain depressed, because as long as she did she wouldn't have to go back to looking after her mother alone.

Of course, that is quite an extreme case and there are many variations (like someone with anxiety might become depressed in order to avoid certain "hazardous" events in their life).

Maybe on some level you are creating and perpetuating your own misery? This is just an idea, you understand.

Best wishes.

13. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Good question. I'm up and down for so long that i forgot what life is without depression. If it is due to an unbalance of chemicals in the brains, you need the right medicine and to pin point the medicine often we go for years of trials after trials of medicine and treatment but eventually they do find out. Some mental illness are not curable but can be maintained under control with medication and a good mental doctor (psichiatra or therapist-counsellor).

Dont give up, somehow you will beat the beast either its with medicine, therapist or a mix of both. After decade of depression I finally found the right psichiatra and he is doing all he can to help and i can finally see a small light at the end of the tunnel. Dont desperate, be strong.

all the best your way 0000

14. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

Hello

You don't mention when you were diagnosed or what treatment you're undergoing if any, but do you notice anything cyclical or a pattern in your mood over the last 15 years? I just say this because you may have been misdiagnosed and therefore have been taking the wrong treatment route as a result through no fault of your own.

However, I think what one member has posted here is absolutely right. Often depressed people may subconsciously keep themselves depressed. To get to the bottom of it involves a lot of analysing, most probably with a therapist, so you can be aware of its sources and start to take steps to break out of it. This process is most likely to be very painful, which is probably why you may be averting it. You're only human - humans don't actively seek pain. In this case it is a necessary process.

Take care.

15. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Some people fight it for most if not all their lives but also some people only fight it for a few years or less. It depends on the individual.

16. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

depression is a chemical imbalence when you are givin anti depress's you are normally given them for a certain ammount of time then slowly come off them and hope the chemicals are balenced back out all though it is hard to imagine that the reason you feel like this is because a chemical imbalence in your brain. not all meds work with all people but they are alot of different ones out there i susspose its about finding the ones or combination for you but i am sorry to hear you have been feeling this way for so long.

17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Treatment DOES NOT equate to a cure.

Treatment is the word used to describe giving the patient something to counteract or stifle the condition. They can't go into your head and fix it so that your body does everything normally. If they could, that would cure it. All they can do is try to introduce artificial factors to correct it as well as they can. That is treatment. Anti-depressants help regulate the things in the brain that need it; they do not change what your body would be doing naturally.

Treatments for depression aren't perfect, and therefore can not make you feel completly normal in any but the best circumstances.

If the treatment isn't working well enough for you, try asking for another one. If you haven't tried it yet, Electroconvulsive Therapy is probably the most effective thing you could ask for.

18. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Eh... it took me 7 years. I guess it varies by person.

I'm just looking forward, now, there's not much to do else after depression.

19. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

deleted post. sorry, changed my mind. nuttin to add

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

deleted post. sorry, changed my mind. nuttin to add

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.