why..?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bearclaw27, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bearclaw27

bearclaw27 Member

Why is it that many people can accept euthanasia for a person with terminal cancer, yet those same folks are completely against suicide for a person who is terminally depressed...?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

This is a quite controversial topic. Would you rather me move this to the soap box as it could get too heated?

In my humble opinion, I believe it's a simple reason actually. Someone who is diagnosed with a mental illness may not be in their ''normal state of mind'', they may not be of sound mind, and unable to make such a huge decision that cannot be overturned. As far as I know those who go to those clinics who are terminally ill have to undergo mental exams too. So therefore that is why they can't. Because depression can be treated basically while terminal cancer cannot. Depression is not even listed as a long term illness where I live(on certain forms), if I was I would be entitled to not have to pay the price per prescriptions, the government levy. Apparently depression is not enough but I totally see your point. I really do.

3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I think that it's because they see mental illness as treatable. I can tell you firsthand that that is not always the case. I suffer mentally and after two years of trying to get help, they haven't been able to help me.

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I'm kind of split when it comes to my opinion on the matter. On the one hand, it's true that mentally ill people who might want to die during some point in their lives may change their mind in the future. But on the other hand, what if they don't? I don't think it's fair to force someone to live when they legitimately don't want to, whether due to a physical or mental illness. But a good number of people who want to die do get out of their depression and don't want to die anymore. Although, I'm not sure what could possibly distinguish the difference between people who may change their minds and those who won't. Frankly, it seems like an impossible task. But if they somehow could, then I think it would be fair to let someone who wants to be free of their pain to end it. But I don't think it's likely to ever happen in our society. Both because of the issue that I stated and because most people are against it in general, even for terminally ill people. It's hard to imagine people like that ever changing their minds.

5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

We are a pro-life forum and as such we do not allow arguments in favour of ending lives on SF. Since one side of this debate is therefore against the guidelines, I am closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.