Why?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by drothreign, Mar 27, 2007.

1. drothreign

drothreign New Member

First of all let me explain that I am not trying to be rude or mean but am simply pointing out an obvious fact...

I see so many posts about people who are going to kill themselves this very instant. Over and over again. A lot of you post this many times. It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf. I don't think 99% of the people here actually want to die, they are just sad and have emotional problems. A lot of it is for attention I think because you don't get attention or emotional support from other people. The point is that I think more people should see outside of their emotional box and not always be on the verge of committing suicide. It's dramatic.

2. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

Now, although there ARE some people on here who are merely attention seekers, the majority are in genuine distress. I think evryone wants attention when they are feeling unwell, but that does not make them an attention seeker. it merely shows that they need consoling from their fellow man. and i know for a fact that more than 1% of the people here are genuinaly suicidal. I am, ive even attempted once before.
    and as for your comment for us to stop being on the verge os suicide all the time. That is something that is not a conscious decision. Do you really believe that anyone here WANTS to be in such pain that they are on the brink of terminating their own life? I, myself, would give anything to not feel the way that i do.
    although, i do concede that there arethose on here who do make a little more drama than necesary.

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

First of all let me explain that I am not trying to be rude or mean but am simply pointing out an obvious fact...

I see so many posts about people who are going to kill themselves this very instant. Over and over again. A lot of you post this many times. It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf.
    Often the people who post these things do think that they will kill themselves imminently, or they can't see another way. But often there is something in them, that for whatever reason, reaches out for help, and surely this is a good thing. It could very easily be that because they reach out, that they do not commit that permanent act. I do agree though, there are times when the person who posts it is blatantly after attention or has no intention of doing it, but posting that you are suicidal because you need attention, or even if they have no intention of doing it shows that surely they still need help, just a little different help from those that genuinely believe that they will kill themselves. (and also, aside from that I, personally, have never ever posted that I was going to kill myself. I fully believe that I will but I would never say I am going to kill myself now because who knows what will happen in those next few mins or whatever)

I don't think 99% of the people here actually want to die, they are just sad and have emotional problems.
    I'm not sure it's fair to make that judgement because you can't possibly know what is going on inside someone elses head. 99% is a very high percentage, too high, because that would mean that very few people here want to die, and I think that is wrong. It can be hard through the depression/BPD/bi-polar or whatever other condition, to sometimes know what you really want, be it life, death, peace, happiness. I do agree that a lot of people have emotional problems, but on a site like this, that is to be expected. There are a lot of people around that have suicide ideation too, and problems like that, and also not everyone here is suicidal or comes because they are suicidal, obviously there are boards for a whole host of other problems and some people come to help.

A lot of it is for attention I think because you don't get attention or emotional support from other people.
    In some cases yes, this is totally true, but surely this is a problem in itself that needs help. It's a case of when reading the posts trying to figure out what kind of help that person needs, is it immediate medical/psychological help, is it a friend, is it someone to care, is it professional help or support, or something else, and then writing a reply to suit what that particular poster needs, whatever it might be.

The point is that I think more people should see outside of their emotional box and not always be on the verge of committing suicide. It's dramatic.
    Often mental health problems, by nature, make the person look only from their point of view, so looking outside the box can take a long time, with a lot of professional help. It's not as easy as telling someone to, and also someone can't do it unless they want to. On the other hand (again, speaking personally) I can look outside the box. I have taught myself to, through the things I say to others, but yet I still believe that suicide is the right way to go. Not because I am being dramatic, but because it will be better for everyone else. Not all suicidal thoughts/ideation/attempts, etc, are dramatic, but yes, certainly some people over dramatise everything, but that can be said about every singe corner of life.

I'm not sure what my point is, or even why I am replying. I agree with some of what you have said, but not all, and certainly not the over simplicity with which you have grouped everyone. Remember that everyone is different, has different problems, and is here for a different reason.

Anyway, hope you are ok.

Take care

4. drothreign

drothreign New Member

Yeah I didn't phrase what I meant very well. I meant that 99% are not going to kill themselves. I'm sure a lot more people want to they just aren't scared. I only meant that when I realize its time to go it will be the last time anyone heres from me. I am depressed and i'll admit that but i'm not on the verge of kill myself. Least not yet.

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I'll move this to the Let It All Out forum, seeing as it appears to be in the wrong place.

While some people here maybe doing it for attention: ask why that is. Is it because they feel they can't get attention any other way? In that case, surely shouldn't we do something to help them get that attention?

I'm too tired right now to answer the rest of the post; I'll do that in more detail if I have time and the energy anothe time..

6. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

I do understand where you're coming from. I think you could be right that the majority of people posting that they will commit suicide imminently are actually crying out for help or attention, and while it might be dramatic, I would rather they continued to post and receive support than disappear altogether. I'm not sure I phrased all that right, because I really do understand what you mean, but
    at the same time I'm glad that people are reaching out for help, even if it is by making threats. :hug:

7. blade

blade Well-Known Member

some of us dont want attention. some of us are goign through a very hard time. maybe there are some of us who do want attention.

i know im not one who wants attention