Wife attempted suicide is now in detention...

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by nebbish, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nebbish

nebbish New Member

As it is the weekend, I can't get any solid information regarding her time in detention or related issues.

This was, to me, clearly a cry for help as she texted what she had done. Unfortunately, I was at work and didn't look at my phone, but someone else did and the police found her.

In short, a big crisis, fight with her best friend over it, etc.. But, the acute circumstances have passed and she would be better off seeing a good therapist than in a dank state facility with very disturbed patients around. We are professionals, live in an up-scale suburb, etc.. -- life issues aren't at the center of this. However, for years, I've been trying to get her to see a therapist and she has life-long emotional issues and her tendency to catastrophize instigated this act.

Anyhow, she was brought to the ER, stabilized, evaluated, brought to an in-patient facility.

Those of you who have gone through this might be able to help me.

First, her duration of required detention is state law, so that I can get.

But, here are a few questions:
    1) does the detention time begin when the police brought her to the ER, when she was evaluated (and an order was signed) or when she arrived at the facility (nearly 20hrs between the 3)? I couldn't find a statute that explains this, so maybe there is a common practice standard.
    2) unless there is a court order to keep her longer, my understanding is that she will be free to leave after the hours are up. So, say at 9pm Wednesday the hours are up and the facility has not gotten a court order. Can they legally detain her still? Would they be in violation of the law if they used force to detain her still?

Those of you who have been detained in such circumstances, can you tell me about the release?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Here in Canada they can only retain a person 3 days that is from time they arrive at hospital and are put on a form usually they are just stabilized and sent home
    If there is pt advocates within hospital wife could use them to get released Perhaps now this will be a time she will agree to get a good therapist online to help her I hope so
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have no idea of your location but here in Ireland the police(garda) can detain you under the mental health act until the person is evaluated. The psychiatrists can keep you in the psych wad on a 30 (not 3, 30) day hold against your will if you are a danger to yourself or others. Other than that if willingly going into the ward it can literally be any length of time from 1 day or months.
  4. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I think it will depend on local laws. IF they do break whatever those laws are... don't do anything that would require forceful restraint. There are processes to go through, and she will look much more ready for outpatient treatment if she and her family goes through with them calmly and legally vs anything that necessitates force.

I know this isn't what your after... but even if time in the hospital isn't what she needs it can be the wakeup call to get her to want to go see the right therapist. Support her while she is in there as much as you can. Encourage her to be honest with the doctors, and to take what positives she can from the experience.
  5. nebbish

nebbish New Member

Hi... And thanks for the replies.

I saw my wife today and she seemed much better than yesterday. I still don't have a lot of info here beyond the statutes I found online.

But, I do have a few therapists ready to see her when she is released. My therapist was working on that for me today.

Hopefully Monday, with people back at work, I'll start getting more info.
  6. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I hope everything works out for you and your wife. It's going to take time but if you believe in her, she will forever be grateful. Please take care.
  7. Starrbaby235

Starrbaby235 Member

When I was in the hospital after suicide attempts I was sent to the ward without consent or anything and pretty much stuck there until either my insurance didn't wanna pay anymore or the doctor(s) I was under care of released me. So I'm not sure how long she will be. My first time I was there for 5 days second time I was there for almost two weeks. I live in Kansas.
  8. nightfallagain

nightfallagain Well-Known Member

It depends on the phychiatric unit and the dr that attends to her and her answer to the questions at hand. They can, and will, get a court order to detain her if they feel she is at risk to herself, or a child at her home of residence. My understanding of the Mental Act of Canada, they can and will use this if they feel she "is at risk" to repeat an attempt to hurt herself. Sometimes, now I am thinking of YOU, it is best that she stays for observation. I on the other hand, have been let go, many times, and should never have. I have a plan, I have stopped playing around with the idea, and will not tell anyone when I do it. Thank God I don't have children or a husband to kill their spirits as well. I only have me to contend with. If you love her deeply, let her be committed for the help she needs. Be strong
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I hope she is doing better now, please let us know :) Also,if you need more info on anything just make another thread. I find the people on this site have huge knowledge of anything you would need to know. Best of luck.
  10. nebbish

nebbish New Member

Hi, my wife has been back home for about a week now, having a lot of ups and downs.

We spent a few days in a cabin without cell or internet, just the two of us and our dog. It was absolutely wonderful. She was in a better place emotionally than I had seen her for years. But upon our return, she sank... She might lose custody of her daughter because of this and also face a law suit. The stressors are thus pretty extreme.

She hasn't been able to leave my side since she got out, but I'm terribly behind in work, and while I've been doing all i can for her, i need a few hours and so i am getting her to make plans with a friend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.