Will a hospital force me to take anti-depressents

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by wastedmylife, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am really suicidal mainly because of some physical problems I am having, I am not sure if a (psych) hospital will do anything but if I did wind up in one of those places would they force me to take medication even if my problem wasnt related to being depressed

They can load me up with every drug in the world and I know it wont make me feel better it will just make me worse, truthfully it is probably dumb to go to a hospital anyway, just as a last resort type thing
  2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

It depends on where you live, in NY they can't force you take any medication and they cannot hold you unless they can proove you are a danger to yourself or others.
  3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

it's been my experience that a hospital will try to give you medication but you are allowed to not take it, but beware they will probably get very inquisitive on what you think they could do to help you then.
  4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

what happens if it seems like there is no hope for me and I am just clincially depressed would they eventually let me go, would they put me up in a tie down type place where they would inject me with medication, I would probably refuse medication because I dont like taking it, it is probably pointless for me to go to a hospital to begin with
  5. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

they will only release you when you do not pose to be a hazard to yourself.
  6. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I don't know what will happen.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Depends on the hospital. My personal fav was the one where they crammed a needle in my shoulder and when I asked what it was, the 'nurse':dry: said "WHY?", said i liked to know what i was being given in case of allergy, her answer (wicked witch voice) "ARE YA ALLERGIC TO MORPHINE?!". turned out i was:drool::faint: From lots of reading & experience I believe that outpatient care is far better than inpatient (there r daily outpatient programs 4 lotsa stuff many places) and that many people come out of the hospital in worse shape than when they went in. To quote a friend's doc, "Hospital, that's no place to be when you're sick; there are other sick people there you could catch something from".
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

yikes. That is a scary story. I am very sorry that happened to you :hug:

The hospital I was at, I'm pretty sure you could refuse medication, but you would expect a talk with doctors and nurses for a couple hours about why you weren't taking them and having everyone make a big deal about it. Also if you asked what you were being given you would get attitude sometimes.
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

They usually don't force you to take them, but if you refuse help they will question you as to why you are there if you aren't willing to try and change things. You do need to go in with an open mind. If you are clinically depressed then meds might just be able to help. I don't know many people that enjoy taking them, but why would you refuse it if they can help bring you out of the depression? It does not mean you would have to remain on them for life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.