Will having lots of money change your current situation

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I know they say that money can't buy you happiness but it sure can make your life easy and buy you lots of things. So how will you life change if you had so much money that you didn't have to work anymore for the rest of your life.
    I know it will bring you lots of attentions and fake friends but would it make you happy? Would it make your life easier?

2. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

It would have zero effect. I still go to school though, and live at home.

3. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

The thing that would completely turn my life around is close friend I could trust. I have lots of friends but none know the REAL me. Lots of money sure couldn't hurt though. ;)

4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Whenever you got depressed instead of sticking around, you could be like, "F*ck this, I'm going to Beijing". And half way there decide you'd rather chart a ship into the Antarctic sea, like the guy in Frankenstien.

5. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I use to think money brought happiness but now I realize I wish I chased other things instead of money, like I said before no amount of money can make me happy, it could make me happier but not happy, I wish I had the mindset I have now 10 years ago, I could have done anything in the word 10 years ago and lived a happy life but now I am in a world of shit, I blame my ego and my greed for a big part of it

6. jameslyons

It's hard to fix or feel good about the past...

But we can try to make the next ten years happy, no?

7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

highly doubtful

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I have a lot of money. I expect to make a lot more.

...But that doesn't help my loneliness.

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I find money won't inherently increase happiness, but will decrease factors of unhappiness. Life might suck regardless of wealth, but not worrying about rent would certainly make it a bit easier.

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Of course it would change your current situation but that does not mean it will make things easier or better.

11. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I very much fear the person I would turn into if I had that type of money and didden´t have to work for it :laugh:

-No more student loans
    -No more rent worries
    -Fun expensive toys to occupy myself and friends with
    -Do what I want when ever I want. Adventures and travels, eat what food I want, a few mansions strategically placed where I like to travel, cars, big party's, and what ever I could dream up but diddent type down here yet.

S0000oo a better person then to day? Nope, less in so many ways as I would try to make up for all my years of missing out on quality life! I would live it LARGE! and not care much for the things I care for today.

I would become a plastic selfish prick NR uno and be happy about it.
    Maby throw in a few charity work events to ease my mind :biggrin:

I am telling you , dont give me money :tongue:

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I would love to be rich. :laugh:

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No, it wouldn't.

14. jameslyons

...but if you have only few hundred pounds I'd be totally grateful!

15. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

As i said in another thread, money wouldn't solve most of my problems, only a few and thus, no it would not really change my current situation.

16. helena

helena Staff Alumni

Definetely yes!
    I have a chronic short of money and daily worries about paying bills, at this time of the year to buy presents, I didn't buy a piece of clothing for ages...depending on how much it is, I could replace all broken, half broken or totaly broken stuff at my place, because even working 32 hours per week, summertime, sundays, whatever, I never get payed more than minumum wage and I never have any money over....it could bring me back to my home country, near my family that I miss like hell.

17. Valteron

Valteron Well-Known Member

Right now, my income is the highest it has ever been. And I am semi-retired so I only have to work about 100 days a year and I get about $100,000 CDN (about 50,000 pounds in British currency) a year. I have never been dirt poor, but I have had much lower incomes.

Money does not "buy" happiness, that is for sure. Otherwise, would I be on a Suicide Forum? But obviously, extreme poverty would not do much for hapiness except for the occasional ascetic religious hermit, maybe. People who watch their children die during a famine are presumably not very happy, for example. Worrying about how you are going to pay the rent does not contribute to happiness.

So think of money like a foundation on a house. You need a certain basic matarial support to build on. But the foundation alone is not the house. Nobody can expect to have shelter, warmth and a cosy place to live if all they have are a set of cement walls in the ground. They may be the thickest, most solid and wonderful foundation walls ever made. You can make them thicker and higher. But they by themselves are NOT the house.

18. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Yes...for the better definately...and I'll post here and let you know how...once I've won the lottery jackpot! ;)

19. I-Died-In-My-Dream

I-Died-In-My-Dream Well-Known Member

Totally, Definately, Waaay. I would live to help those who do want to live you see.

20. Simply Brett

Simply Brett Member

having money would probably be the ticket to me not ending my pathetic life at some point .. I'm about to turn 25 with nothing but regrets, and nothing to show for my existence on this earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.