Will I Actually Be Cured

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Forgotten_Man, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

You know I sometimes wonder if depression can actually be cured. What cures it, drugs, fixing what I hate about myself, sex, or all of the above? Is depression something that can be truly cured?

I ask because today I purchased enough rope to kill myself. I want to try to fix some things. But I am not convinced that I will get over my depression by doing so. For instance I think I am fat. If I work out and lose the weight and become not fat, will I be fixed?

I just do not want to waste effort, I want to get one of the other over with.

2. Justsolost

Justsolost Well-Known Member

Depression can be difficult to fight through, especially without proper support. It's not easy to fix, no, but it CAN be treated effectively in many cases, and I hope you don't give up.

3. masive

masive Banned Member

its a good question..

Do you enjoy the feeling of feeling down and sad? because...

I think its if you want to be cured really rather than can you be cured.
    "you can only help thoses that can help them selfs"

Hanging your self? you want to feel relesh from what pain you feel which makes you feel down, sad. Remenber forgotten man that what you want is to "FEEL" and to feel that you must be alive. Dieing is a permant answer to a tempertory problem.

Keep your chin up and leave the rope alone.

4. Forgotten_Man

I also forgot to ask, if there are people here who have managed to over come depression by over coming what they thought was the cause of their depression.

@Justsolost: A treatment is not a cure. I do not want to have to spend the rest of my life leaning on others. The only thing worse than just suffering depression would be having to be on a crutch for the rest of my life. Knowing that if I break one small step years of work and money will be gone.

@masive: Yeah I figured it was something like that. I am just not a fan of having to work to prevent something for the rest of my life.

While I cannot talk about my methods. I will say that I am taking physics into consideration when I intend to hang myself. That way the pain will be short at best. Then again I am terrified of crippling myself.

I guess I could be scientific about this. I could put forth an honest effort to see removing the portions of my life that I believe are the cause of my depression will fix it. A body is a simple enough thing to mold. That would be a start.

But from what I have seen and read about depression. Therapy and drugs are just a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

5. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Fixing the superficial problems like being fat wont get you the result ur looking for i think. Like I'm fat and I think I'm ugly as a result but I know if I were to lose the weight my problems wont just disappear. What I really have a problem with is, my low self-esteem and lack of confidence and a hole bunch of other problems. To change those I have to address my issues with my self-esteem and stuff. Thats where I'm putting my focus right now on addressing the real issues that I have and not the superficial ones. Just a suggestion, make sure u address what is really the underlying issue for you. If u do that I think u can answer yes to ur question about being cured...

6. masive

masive Banned Member

I know sometimes its hard but why do you feel this way? What is it that make you feel like hanging your self?

Like I said before death is not the answer..

Forgotten man nice user name but on here you are not forgotten..

7. Forgotten_Man

@1izombie:I believe my low self-esteem comes from my being fat, hence why I want to fix that issue. If anything, dropping the weight might make me feel better about myself. Thus making it easier to tackle underlying problems. Which currently is impossible for me. Call me vain, but what people can see is a much easier target.

@masive: There are many things that make me feel like this. Dealing with my roommate. Dealing with my female friend. Dealing with my current money situation. Dealing with my job. Trying to fix the issues I deem as the causes of my self-hatred. All of which I am handling like a weak-minded idiot. I do not know why I am doing that, but I am and it tears me up.

I do not feel I am being purely selfish when it comes to wanting to die. I just know that the resources I consume could be put to better use. That is my main reason for wanting to die. I am just a waste of space. I take up air, food, water, and living space that could be put to better use by someone who knows how to be a part of society.

8. masive

masive Banned Member

We all have issues like this in our lives mate.

Its not a reason to end a life. Your not a waste of space nor are you a failure. You need to fouce on indavuial things and complete each one at a time rather than looking at them all as a whole.

use us to lean on to help you thur. After all if you did not care why are you a member on this forum? The same reason we are.. Dont give in.

Try not to smile or laugh::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7LC2fGd4I
    Or try this:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7yWFh9yxtc&feature=related

Smiling is good have a go!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  9. Forgotten_Man

It is hard to focus on individual things when most will take over a year to complete. Or when most always end in failure.

10. masive

masive Banned Member

failure is for those that never tried.

A year is not that long mate. Be pateince you can do this I belive in you and so do the rest of us.

masive x

11. Forgotten_Man

A year seems like a very long time when you are suffering. A year of having to continue to suffer and struggle. That sounds like an eternity. Especially when I know I am enough of a screw up that I will most likely fail. I have been trying to fix the vanity thing for 6 months now... I always screw it up.

12. masive

masive Banned Member

forgotton man.. That fact that you keep trying shows you are not a failure..

A failure is someone that doesnt even try you try YOUR NOT A FAILURE!!!

Time is a healer. Be patince my friend let time do its work x

13. Forgotten_Man

You are a failure until you succeed.

14. masive

masive Banned Member

WRONG!!! never give up..

15. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

this may sound stupid

i can't remember the line, but have you ever seen Meet The Robinsons?

somehow the movie puts a positive spin on failure

16. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Maybe it depends on what you deem a success?

17. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

Hiya,

I have been in the depths of depression for around 5 years (possibly longer but I can't remember anything before then) and have spent the last seven months in seven different psychiatric units.

My most recent admission, when I was detained under Section three of the mental health act, was for nine weeks, most of which on a psychiatric intensive care unit. Whilst there I started new medication (Olanzapine and Mitazepine) and these meds seem to have turned my life around. I now have the energy to get up, no longer have suicidal thoughts, and think positively about my life.

So depression can definitely be cured and your life can be turned around. You gotta stick it out, keep fighting for different things to be tried out and eventually you will find the right thing for you.

Hope this helps you keep fighting x

18. Forgotten_Man

@masive:You can only go as long your you are mentally capable of.

@Wastingecho:
    Nope never seen that movie. Failure is an OK thing as long as the failures are few and far spread

@nicolaj1992: I guess my question to you is, are you still on the meds?

19. masive

masive Banned Member

Dont be daft every day you come on here thats an sucess because its another day that pasts my friend. You just need a little help from some people that care such as me/ Us on the forum.

20. Forgotten_Man

Sorry at a young age I was taught small successes like that mean nothing. I guess I am successful in some way, after all I am one day closer to dying a natural death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.