Will I die if I quit smoking, like my father did?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by neverdie, Aug 25, 2007.

1. neverdie

neverdie Guest

My father was 50 when he quit smoking, 2 months later he was he died. Has anyone here quit cold turkkey and explain what they went through after smoking for years?
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your father dying 2 months after quitting smoking. I really doubt the stopping smoking had an impact on your dads heath, perhaps the smoking lead to body issues and by the time he stopped it was too late. Or perhaps the smoking wasn't a cause, it was a coincidence. I can't speak for myself as I don't smoke but my father used to, I'm not sure if he quit and went cold turkey, I think he decreased his number of cigs by the day/few days and stopped smoking that way. He had a lot of cravings and still does, instead he has turned to chewing gum and has the odd cigar as it's better than the cigs.
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

thats very odd but i guess possible. Like his body had been so addicted and therefore reliant on the cigarettes that he couldnt live without them, im not sure. I would think it would improve your chance of living if you quit..
  4. neverdie

neverdie Guest

It's funny, I don't know a life without smoking. I remember being a child and a non smoker, if u could call it that. Both my parents were smokers, and my mom smoked when she was pregnat with me, so it's been in my system my whole exsistance. I started smoking daily at the age of 13 and I'm 50 now, it might be quite the shock to my system, it's scary....
  5. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

A friend of my father was a very heavy smoker, and I believe he was trying to quit, and he died really suddenly from a heart attack. I don't know how hastily he was trying to quit, though... maybe my father knows, but I'm not sure I want to ask. :/
  6. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

my nan recently died from lung cancer, which was no doubt related to her years of smoking, however she gave up about 20 years ago.
    i dont know what happened with your dad but stopping smoking surely has to be a good thing :hug:
  7. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your dad. I doubt his death had anything to do with giving up smoking two months earlier.
  8. livingdeath

livingdeath Active Member

You should definitely quit smoking. Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. I quit cold turkey 18 years ago. I felt better as soon as I stopped. Until then I had smoked a pack a day for 20 years. I'm 52 now, in excellent health. Quitting smoking is hard, but it's probably not nearly as hard as having heart disease or lung cancer.

I am sorry to hear about your father's death. If he had smoked for some time, the damage done may have been too severe to healed by two months' abstention. Or maybe his death had nothing to do with smoking. You didn't describe the circumstances of his death.

It might take several tries to quit. I once quit for two years, then started again, but eventually I got it right. You have to really, really want to quit in order to succeed at it; but it's not hard to find reasons to stop.
  9. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I have to apologise for spreading misinformation, before; in actuality, he had tried to stop smoking, but taken it up, again. His cause of death was, however, an, at the time, incurable heart condition... it had nothing to do with trying to stop.
  10. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I wish I could quit smoking.
  11. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I'm half drunk typin g this so if i say something wrong or make no sense im sorry

ye, quitting is hard. but if you had seen what i have seen. lost someone in the way that i have lost someone then trust me, stopping would be the only option you had.

and, no offence but, stopping smoking is NO WAY NEAR (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) as hard as having lung cancer. as having to deal with the fact that you only have a short amount of time left, knowing...deep down, that those things you put in your mouth for so long had had something to do with it. Or anywhere near as hard as im sure it was for my nan watching her family, thinking that everytime she saw someone it might be the last time. the pain, the depression, the not being able to breathe, the deteriation, the knowing that the end is near.

if you had seen any of this, been through any of this, then you wouldnt be saying that quitting is hard

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2007