Will I ever be able to fully recover?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I ended up cutting myself after about 7 months of not doing it. Actually, that was only one cut and pretty impulsive. It has been probably more than a year since I cut myself this much. I used to do it more often, and it would usually coincide with me being drunk. But I was stone sober last night and still did it. Usually I would find ways to distract myself when I am feeling that upset, but this time seemed different for some reason. And I can't throw my blades away....I just can't bring myself to do it. Will I always have this lurking in the back of my mind, or will I be able to overcome it? If you were able to, how did you do it?

2. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I to have tried to keep away from self harm but like you I have always had it in the back of my head. I also hope it can go away but I fear it will always be there with the urge to do it. I used to wonder why people do it but having done this myself i fully understand why people self harm. Hopefully you will get the answers you need.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Sorry I did not see this thread until now, I hope are now feeling better. When you get off the horse, you get back on :) You are a great person with a brilliant mind. Don't let this slip up impact the future in a bad way. :hug: As for how to....I think the answer is therapy, long term therapy.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

I've been in therapy for a couple of months now, but never really touched the topic of self-harm yet. Though he did ask me if I ever harmed myself, and I wasn't sure if he was referring to something more serious. Just a bit nervous to talk about it, but I know I will bring it up if I have more urges.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

All at your own pace hun, I believe he meant it as in any way, but I wasn't there so can't say that for sure obviously. Open up about it when YOU are ready and only you!! Good luck :hug:

6. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

Yes. I believe you can fully recover from self harm
    maybe slowly try increasing the time without it, you made a year this time (congratulations) maybe aim for a year and a half minimum this time? That way you can slowly recover yourself, that's the method I'm trying and it does seem to be working (although I'm only on two months free, but i am aiming for four months free now) :)
    I believe that you can beat this addiction, you already got over the year free mark and i know how disheartening relapse can be, but I firmly believe that you can make it

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Thank you everyone for your support. However, I feel that I will go back to self-harming and probably even worse. I am losing the only friendships I have left and that hurts, badly. I need support more than ever and I am being shut out. I just feel like I'm done dealing with all of this pain.

8. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I have been real busy, I'm here for you whenever you need support, or a friend

9. Witty_Sarcasm

Thank you, you seem like a really nice person, but I have already made my decision, I don't think I can keep on like this

10. Ria0331

Ria0331 Member

I also am a self harmer. I have gone from cutting to overdosing on my husbands insulin and other things. In my honest opinion, I don't think the urges and thoughts ever fully go away. What happens is you learn and develop better ways to cope. If you have a cat or dog, you can hold them and cry and they will stay with you. You can always talk on here to get support from us. I am always here to listen and help when I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.