Will my counsellor get in trouble?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Madam Mim, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

If/when I kill myself, will my counsellor get in trouble because he should have seen it coming and didn't do anything about it?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments as this is bugging me. I like the guy and wouldn't want him to get in trouble because of me.

2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt it, as it would be entirely your choice and not his fault in any way (unless he coerced you into it). People may question the strength of his efforts to help you, but they would be fools to blame him for your death (which you should avoid by the way).
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I think they have a duty of care thing Mim where they are supposed to make sure we are safe/don't kill ourselves while in their care...
    my councelor said to me "promise you won't hurt yuorself while you're seeing me" ..she looked worried when I said I couldn't promise ..more about her postition than me I think..
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I don't think they would get in trouble unless they somehow assisted in your suicide... If there are things you are hesitating to express to him- you really should do it. He's not a mind reader, you know? He may be underestimating you- and he can't help you unless he knows how your mind works; so just make things clear to him and ask for help if you need it.
  5. Madam Mim

Thank you all for your replies. They have helped me feel a bit better about this.

6. poison

poison Well-Known Member

unless they assisted or encouraged, i doubt it.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There is never any guaranteed way of preventing a suicide. However, they are required to report you if they believe you are a danger to yourself or others, but that's another problem because betraying you could increase your chance of doing it overall. I've never heard of a therapist getting in trouble for this; ultimately the suicide is deemed the fault of the suicider, barring extreme circumstances (like extreme bullying)
  8. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

What aoeu mentioned about they have to report it is right, happened to me a few weeks ago, I had been on a cutting spree and was lower than low, they had to report how I was and I was sent to our suicide prevention center, not an enjoyable episode in my life.:mortdesinos: Sometimes incidents like that make me wonder how open I should be if it can get me/them into trouble.:sad:
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, the betrayal can increase the risk of suicide overall. I have lied many times to avoid being locked away in some psych ward (it seems the fact that I have never been hospitalized has denied me disability benefits, however >_<)
  10. Madam Mim

Thank you for your replies. aoeu, I think he is aware that telling someone what's going on would definitely in my case make things a whole lot worse, although I don't know how long I can trust him with that.

gakky1, I'm sorry you got sent to the prevention centre, that truly sucks. The counsellor had me talking about my cutting for the whole session today, but luckily he understands the difference between self-harm and a suicide attempt, although that didn't make it any easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.