will power

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Jessieblue, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jessieblue

Jessieblue Member

How does one learn to have will power? and has anyone here learnt to have will power? I am actually talking about stuff like saving money, stopping smoking so on...
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

take one dayat atime with each successful day it pushes you to be more successful at what you are doing and you keep going the outcome has to be worth more then what it was when you started like better health or more money to get what you need hugs
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Will power is in fact a learned skilled for every human - as small children we are programmed for instant gratification and the only way that changes is with practice and experience. I think that Total Eclipse is correct - choose the things and work on what day at a time , but do not forget to to reward yourself so it gives a reason to keep up the work. The more you do it and practice , the easier it is until you get in the mindset of looking for the best possible results instead of the fastest....
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

the key to gaining willpower is to never give up. Whenever you fall off, get right back on it. And to tell yourself that it's okay to fall off, you can just get back on it anytime you want and for as many times as you need. Remind yourself WHY you're doing this, even write a list if you need to.

I'm learning all this, I've fallen a few times but I keep pushing and pushing. My mother is trying to reduce smoking, now she's a half a cig per hour. It was really hard at first for her, she went back to smoking one cig per hour many times but she tried again and again and now she seems to get the hang of it. Eventually maybe she will stop completely...