Will Seroquel help me sleep?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by ThePhantomLady, Apr 30, 2016.

1. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I was at the psych ER in March... and I was given 3 Seroquel tablets, they were supposed to help me sleep without all the bad thoughts that keep me up.

I haven't really slept in over a week... I spend the night trying to sleep, and wake up super early... and it's literally driving me insane.

I have a lot of both bad and good thoughts in my head and none of them wants to quiet down so I can sleep.

But will Seroquel help me?

I've read while it's also an anti psychotic it is supposed to help boarderline patients with mania... I am neither psychotic or boarderline (not by diagnosis anyway...). My official diagnosis is 'Avoidant personality disorder'... though I know I have PTSD, and I suspect I might be boarderline as well... but yeah

Back to the question... should I take one of the 2 remaining tablets?

Last time I took one it did knock me out and I fell asleep and slept for almost 24 hours, waking up a few times... but ended up having a sleep paralysis and saw something weird in my mirror...

So ehm... help?

2. I take Seroquel for anxiety. It does not make me sleep but I am on a low does of it so that it does not make me sleep. It is for more than just psychosis and borderline. I know a few people that take it just for sleep and those who take it just for anxiety or agitation.

I suggest trying it again to see if it helps but if you continue to see things then talk to your doctor about it.

I take Mirtazapine (generic name) for sleep and that helps (it is actually and antidepressant) I have also tried Trazadone (also generic name) but that did not help me at all (luckily it also had no side effects).

I suggest not being afraid of Seroquel just because it is an anti-psychotic and the Dr. is not trying to say that you are psychotic it is often used for other things.

ThePhantomLady likes this.
  3. ThePhantomLady

Thank you

I think I will close the laptop and try taking one.

4. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Im too lazy to search if seroquel is quetiapine?
    If it is, then yes it will help you sleep, I was on them last year. 225 at night then 50 morning, and it always helped me sleep.

5. ThePhantomLady

Yes it is the same

And It did help me sleep! I fell asleep pretty quick and slept for 14 hours, was still tired, but fell asleep again and got another 6. wow. Seems like I really did need sleep.

I had a horrible nightmare though. but it's okay.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I had some weird dreams when I took Seroquel. It really helped me but it was far too sedating for me. I was okay if I wasn't at work, but if I was it was a nightmare waking up at 5am.

7. ThePhantomLady

I only have one of 3 tablets left now... I am actually considering getting a prescription for them, to use as sleep aid. It really knocks me out, and helps me stay asleep... but I can understand why you found them too sedating. I slept for 14 hours on Sunday, was up for an hour and fell back asleep and got another 6!

But I needed the rest...

8. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

For me,( Zolpiderm + Lopez) make me sleep well. It makes me sleep on time and wake up early. Other medicines like Olanzapine makes me feel sleepy all the time for more than 2 days and I could not walk, eat, bath etc. So, I stop taking them.
    Please change your medicine if it does not work well with you.

9. ThePhantomLady

The Seroquel is the only psych meds or sleep aids I have, or ever had... I got 3 tablets to take home after a visit to the psych ER...

My problem is that I can't sleep at night, I only get a few hours... and in the end the sleep deprivation drives me nuts... Saturday night I took the Seroquel so I could sleep, catching up on lots of lost rest... and also so I wouldn't hurt myself as I had a very bad night...

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Sleep deprivation is a bitch. Seroquel is quite good to take as a PRN for impulse control too.

11. ThePhantomLady

I think I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask for a prescription... If anything, it's better to sleep than to hurt myself.

I think that's what they said at the psych ER, that if I liked the pills I should get a prescription from my doctor, and the doctor could read it in my file...

12. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I liked seroquel when I was on it it did help me sleep at nights and not wake up tripping like I usually do. I'm off it now PCP refuses to prescribe it without seeing a psych doc so screw them. I'm not going back into the system but for that medication it did work for me when I was on it

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Seroquel should make you sleep. But make sure the dose isn't too high, if it caused you to sleep 24 hours straight which isn't healthy maybe taking a sleeping pill would be better such as already mention Zolpiden or Zimovane? They are the most common ones. Seroquel can help with a lot of other issues too, mood control, anxiety etc.. I hope it works out well for you. Please let us know how your doctors appointment goes.

14. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

I was in mania when I started it. So first low doses didn't do much but when they increased it, it knocked me silly. But finally found an in between. So its different for everyone

15. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

seroquel is generally an antipsychotic and personally would not be my first choice in sleep medication. it messes with your blood sugar really badly, and if youre prone to diabetes it just makes it worse (i was hospitalized for blood sugar while being on medicines like seroquel, risperdal, latuda, etc). a good medicine for sleep, if you need it, is trazadone. ive been taking that and it works so well, but needs a prescription (its not addictive though, so its nice). i wouldnt take seroquel if you dont have a psychotic disorder or mood swings, since thats what it primarily treats. good luck!

16. Lucy0

Lucy0 Active Member

I'm not sure. They tried to make me take it to sleep, but I wouldn't because of the severe weight gain as a side effect. Maybe someone else could give you something else to sleep.

Thauoy likes this.