Will society allow me to be "more than just my diagnosis"???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ponder this, a lot. If all I will ever be to people is "mentally ill" or "a mental defective" (the official term still used in the United States Code, despite the fact it is extremely offensive on so many levels), is life worth it?

Something from history may be analogous to the situation people with mental illness face. When I was a young adult, at college, the fight against Apartheid in South Africa was raging -- this was the mid 1980s. In South Africa at the time, your ability to better yourself, to move up in the society,was strictly based upon your race. If you were white, you had no limits. If you were of pure African blood, you were on the very bottom, your rights, your movements, your prospects were very limited. If you were of other races, mixed race, or other nationalities such as Indian or Pakistani, you were somewhere in the middle.

So, is it like that for the mentally ill today? Are you, I, we, as people with mental illlness of whatever form, judged upon our talents, abilities, character, or merits. Or, are we judged strictly by means of a litmus test, just one of mental health status, rather than race as happened in South Africa under Apartheid?

I need to know, because I don't mind fighting if it is a fair fight. But, if the deck is stacked against me so there is no way I can win, I might just quit playing, forever. Because that would be just too hard, and hurt too much.

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
why would anybody know your diagnosis unless you choose to tell them? Outside of family, Dr and if applicable because of needs school, how would anybody know? It is like my medical health problems as well as my depression - I do not wear a sign declaring them and most on here lie about them even to the medical doctors, and psychiatric treatment professionals. Nobody knows my blood pressure, heart condition, depression or anything else unless i tell them. I do not know who is a diebetic or bipolar or anything else unless they choose to tell me. You cannot be fired for mental health issues any more than any other health issues unless that is the reason you cannot perform your job. The only legal question to ask on an employment application is "do you have any mental or physical illness that will impair or impede your ability to perform xyz job" - and if you have the condition controlled than the answer no - so that is reason to fight it and get it controlled. The only place "defect" is used is is in the criminal code to release you from responsibility - and that is the same legal code that lists things such as farting in the presence of a police officer as a crime from 150 years ago and other such crap. It is that way because until a law changes the wording it is the same (and even in that case defect in criminal code refers to cognitive ability- not mental health so while even more offensive it does not apply).

While your mental health or diagnosis may dominate your thoughts , nobody else much cares , nor is it their business. Short of getting a super top secret clearance for a government job nobody will ever ask you if you have a mental disorder except a life insurance company and if they did you do not need to answer. I am sorry , but comparing a stigma associated with mental health that is only made if you choose to share it with apartheid which was based on plainly visible and unalterable basis is a poor comparison and very close to offensive as well as a bit melodramatic.

I am a South African and I'm curious to know why you chose to compare your current health to the history of my country. Would you mind sharing?

iwanttohelp

Life is definitely worth living.

Also, you might be glad to know that life is not a fight.

If it were, the way to feel peace would be to give up and surrender, not to win.

There is nothing to win.

Life is only a series of moments ...to enjoy or not.

It is your choice.

Everyone and everything else is irrelevant.

"Mentally Ill" is a just a word.

You are vastly more than that.

Your life is precious.

youRprecious!

Antiquities Friend
Having been diagnosed years ago, over a particular chain of events, as "schizophrenic" and, later "psychotic" - (but I knew I really wasn't - the diagnoses were not who I was) I understand how you feel Johnny- I felt back then that I was left not only to overcome my situation but also the way 'society' saw me. In searching for my healing, I have come to realie - HECK!! (CONTINUED)

youRprecious!

Antiquities Friend
..... DON't know what's happened to being able to type in the box without it going nuts sometimes (not writing what I type...) ANYWAY, to continue: I have come to realise that, in the grand scheme of things, if people want to believe I am mentally ill/deficient - that is their choice, and it is actually nothing to do with me. It took a long time for me to be able to accept this truth and even to be happy with it. But then, I've started also to realise the benefits that come with believing it, and these are so worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00