will they let me have a gun with mental health history

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I wanna buy a hand gun to protect myself but when they do a background check and see that i have been in a psych ward and have a mental health history, will they still sell it to me. I need to know this.

2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Where you sectioned or a volunteer.

3. seithkein

I was forced

4. D3ath

D3ath Well-Known Member

I'd advise you even if it is possible to get one (Which i doubt) not to..

I know you may want it for personal security.. But it's very easy to become depressed again and feel like using it on yourself.. I wouldn't risk having a weapon such as a gun in your household.

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Then I seriously doubt it... but tbh mate look at the board you posted this in, is this really for defence and do you really need it?

6. seithkein

thank you but i still want one

7. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

personally i don't believe given your history they will allow you one. sorry

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

You can always get a gun on the black market, but I don't think that it's a good idea. What happens if you become depressed and feel like ending it? Having a gun lying around is a recipie for disaster. I built a bow and arrow set for protection and I also have a sword under my bed. :smile:

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I doubt you would be allowed to have a gun given your history, but the place you should check it out with is not us. We can only say what we think and we may be wrong. Why do you feel you need a gun for protection? I personally don't think it is a good idea regardless of whether you have a mental history or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.