Will they really help

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by spidy, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Have interview again with mental health clinic next thurs got the phone call today they say they will prob assign mental health nurse to me but is this really going to help or they just gunna ask same dumb questions or give the same answers i get all the time.Has anyone had dealings with mental health nurse as i just need some answers as i dont wnt to get my hopes up to be let down again.I know i need to let them help and i know i need it as the last month has been hard to get thrgh.Just dont want the stupid questions like do ya want to die(tht question shits me i wouldnt try to end it all if i didnt want too) or the dumb answer think of ya kids(as every time i attempt they are what i thnk of and thnk they better without me) Anyway i strayed a bit there please if anyone has dealt with mental health clinic or nurse can ya give me some input as what they do for ya um is just councilling or what

2. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

I have...tbh I found them completely useless.

3. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Thnx i wont get my hopes up then i mght just come to terms with tht im going to be screwed up for the rest of me life as i cant find the answer within myself to get back on track as my lows and suicidle thghts just kick in and out as they please.I really dont want to keep going thrgh this ive really had enough.Dosnt help when ppl are using me as well like tonght meant to be on supervised visits yet when the ex has something on and has nobody to look after kids i get called i not complain about seeing my kids but she making up the rules as it suits her and fck all i can do about it i m just a pawn being used as it suits ppl.I m glad ive got roof over my head for a nght but sick of being walked over.Now if i want to do somethng with them i have to organise supervision what the fck yet here i am alone with them tonght cause she had something on what is with tht.Ooops strayed a bit here dont thnk help do me any good anyway as someone or somethng fcks me up anyway reoccuring.

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Mental health nurse is the equivalent of a social worker - generally assigned to keep an eye on you and make sure you are doing ok. I seriously doubt that they do anything like therapy or counselling. What you want to do is try and push for a therapist or counsellor, someone who is going to go with you into all the bad feelings you have, find ways with you to sort things out.

And it's good you are getting more chances to see your kids, even if that means your wife is playing silly games. Good luck with finding yourself a place of your own.

5. just-a-nobody

just-a-nobody Account Closed

my mental health nurse done nothing for me, actually he did all he could to suggest bipolar doesnt exist! my shrink on the other hand made a big difference, well to a point she did

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

OMG the mental health nurse assigned to my daughter has been extremely helpful and caring She has councilled her and brought her stablility This mental health nurse has done more for her then any hospital stay would have because she is getting one on one councilling and care. She helps her so much
    Your mental health nurse will help you too if you are open and honest with her. Do not judge this nurse without giving him or her a chance because the nurse does council and does care. Let us know how it works out okay

7. Pixi

Pixi Member

*Mental health nurses in Australia are NOT anything like social workers...totally different thing/career path. I have been assigned a MHN and altho she's a great girl - and at least been someone to chit chat to - there has been not one ounce of counselling offered or psychotherapy - only the chemical straight jacket of psych drugs - which don't work for me at all and bring me even lower. I'd say give urs a go, but don't hold ur breath - they are not miracle workers - and I had no luck with a shrink either. I have little faith left in the mental health system these days. I know what u mean about the "Are you having suicidal thoughts?" questions - heh, doh!!! Then they trial loads of drugs on you to lessen these thoughts - it doesn't work for me & the drugs make me much sicker with side effects thus defeating the point. I am told they work for some, so I couldn't say keep off them. Ur MHN should know all about these things. :)

8. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with violet, my nurse was awesome he kept me stable, reassured me all the time, visited me when I needed him too, he chatted for hours to me when I most needed it, I would say he was better than my psyc. Doctor! I totally recommend to give it a go... good luck!

9. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

I had a mental health nurse assigned to me once. I felt she was doing nothing so I asked for a different one. What a difference that made! I got the help I needed through referrals. Of course tey have to ask that "question". I always respond to that question like this. " I know you are a mandated reporter, thus I plead to keep silent". This lets them know my thoughts of suicide and can't send me away. ( I learnmed the hard way).
    Hang in there.

10. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Gav heard the saying a rose is a rose? Well a mental health worker is a mental health worker. They all receive the same training and education to hold that job. I've had several. One did a remarkable amount of good for me. The others, nah. But I dont think it is so much if a mental health worker will work for you. I think it is more if you find one you connect with. The same was with my pdocs. I have had 2 that really did understand and worked with me. The others nada. Just no connection. So give it a try. If it doesnt seem to "feel" like you're going to get anywhere, request another person. It really depends on what you are willing to take away from each visit rather than what they are going to offer. If you go in already dead set against the idea, then nope it wont help at all. But if you go in with an openmind then atleast you're giving it a fair chance. Good luck.

11. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

I saw mental health nurse today and all i can say is i thnk ive found somebody who understands what im going trgh and my way of thinking.She has been trouble in her life before so gets it im pretty stoked tht she took me serious and knows how im feeling maybe this mght be my road too getting my sht together having someone tht understands for once

12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

:hug: I'm so glad you found someone who understands and will listen!!

13. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

thats great...im glad she understand you :) merry christmas :santa:

14. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Gav that's great news!!!! And a good positive step forward. Now hold on to that. Hold on to knowing that something is working for you, helping you. And there can be other things too!!! Good luck with the therapist and let us know how things go ok?

15. deferred dream

deferred dream Well-Known Member

Best of luck!! Stay positive and remember that being healthy is not a destination, it's a journey! Remember there will be speedbumps along the way. You can do this, I have the utmost faith in you! Keep us informed of your progress. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.