Will you sing this with me?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ToHelp, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Recorded by Bill Withers and many others, Lean On Me has become a staple of hope, friendship, and for us--yearning for same. Will you sing with me, pls?

I bolded the "if there is a load you have to bear that you can’t carry" for it applies particularly to me; this is the friend (family, even) I yearn for in real life.

Think. There is help and resources all around us, but in the good ol' U.S. of A., we are so often just left to our own devices, a carry over of that uniquely American "each man for himself" attitude, I suppose. (See my next post for an elaborative editorial on THAT. lol)

I was in some "Dollar" store the other day, heard one of the later versions of this song, by whom I don't know. (Sure wish I did darnnit!) It's primarily solo until this snapping, rhythmic background during the chorus ("You just call on me brother, when you need a hand..." part). It is a very popular newish version... any help?

I navigated as close as I could to the tiny speaker, listened, and struggled mightily to hold back tears. Anyway, did you sing it? Did you dare to feel it? Did you weep? It's ok, you know. I cannot help you physically but I am here posting, and you are here reading, and in this instance we as one in spirit.

:flowers: ToHelp
  2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I slipped a very provocative editorial into another topic that not surprisingly was kinda lost, I would suspect. Following is the very crux of it--a straight copy & paste.

On Healthcare in the U.S.
    Cost should NEVER be a determinant in the value of another human being's healthcare. Hey, I don't care if you call it a right or a privilege, but one's income level just shouldn't determine the quality of healthcare you get in the U.S. Should it?

Ignominiously, you can get guaranteed free quality healthcare for life if you commit a serious crime and go to prison. Personally I'd just stay ill and have my freedom... but the irony is undeniable. Should you be tagged an enemy combatant, the U.S. will ship your ass to Cuba and you'll get guaranteed free top-notch healthcare for as long as you stay.... lol

That Michael Moore is something. The man made it all the way into Guantanamo Bay and damned if he didn't even capture interviews from some of the staff there.

Now that. Is amazing.

I'm not a blind Moore follower, but the movie Sicko is mandatory viewing for everyone, pro-Moore or anti-Moore; it lays bare the human cost of the richest country on the face of the Earth under-treating its own citizens.

From the movie, very poignant:

Cuba is a little island in the Caribbean with little to no resources, observes Dr. Aleia Guevara, Pediatrician. We can do a lot to improve the people's health. This does not happen in the United States.

Dr. Guevara goes on to query, Why are we able to, and you are not? There's something to notice there, because the more a country produces, the richer it is, the better it should take care of its people.

Politics aside it is FACT that if you are poor and in dire need of the most up-to-date medical treatment available and you happen to reside in the U.S.? Brother You Are Screwed.

You see, immaculate healthcare in the United State of America is reserved for those with lotsa lotsa money.

LOL, I meandered OT forlorn. My apologies there--but the queer dichotomy of values (we'll expend billions on the bungling of Iraq but God help you if you require good healthcare in the United States) has been pent up in me for some time now. To me, the subject far transcends mere politics.

The goodness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults.
    -Alexis de Tocqueville

:rose: ToHelp
  3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I sang the song!! It was very liberating.

Goodness of America? Puleeeeeze....
  4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's all I wanted, really! I wish I had a copy of the song.... I'll concede that pairing the first two posts was awkward and a bit of a contretempts, touching upon the line of politics, but gosh it seemsed highly appropos within the conext.

Anyway Pit - thanks for taking time to share the seniment with me so the topic would not go completely unanswered. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Listen to it whenever I feel bummed out. Makes me feel like things are not so bad after all and will work out somehow. Very lovely song.
  6. Hey - sorry I'm "late" (has the fat lady sung yet?? Hey - I resemble that remark!). I found this for ya... and yeah, I sang - in harmony no less! (I missed singing for so long...)

Bill Withers! OMG - I haven't heard him in years!!

(post-Hurricane Katrina footage -
    turn off your screen or 'mimimize' it,
    if it's "distracting"... though it does suit)
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  7. I'm listening to songs about being "far away", in places not here and such. Life is too horrible for false optimism.
  8. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

.... well aren't you a happy camper... :tongue:

9. I'm not well right now at all. This is a horrible day in so many ways, and I'm sitting next to my suicide method.
  10. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I'm sorry. But... please don't do anything today. Could you wait another day before you make any decisions. You say you are right next to your method of choice which kinda tells me you are seriously thinking about doing it soon. Please just try to hang on for a while longer. If you want you can PM me. I might not get back to you until later, though because it is almost 4am here and i'm very sleepy. :p

Oh, I just wanted to tell you I looked up that song Alone by Nana Mouskouri and fell in love with it!!! Thanks so much for posting those lyrics on your sig. :hug:

11. I don't know what will happen with me today. I am glad you like the song though. :hug:
  12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

LOL silly me!!

I am apparently confused/have been confusing Lean On Me with Stand By Me, can you believe that? lol Easy enough, I suppose.

The oddity? Both are equally moving compelling songs, I find.

Anyway please visit www.midi4u.com/ and scroll down to "Stand By Me." This is top, TOP qual midi. Very talented sequencer.

God bless,
  13. BlueWind

BlueWind Well-Known Member

i did sing it ...thank U...made me feel stronger to help others until i cant anymore & need to helped by others:smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.