winning battles will not always ultimately win you the war.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by EisNayk, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EisNayk

EisNayk Well-Known Member

I think I am about to lose the war against my anxiety and depression. I have been keeping up with the battles but ultimately I lose one battle and I lose the war. I am worn out loosing momentum I will soon fall to my knees. this time if I fall I do not think I will be getting back up. I keep fighting but I have forgotten why. in the end I guess I can say I gave it my all and my all just was not good enough.

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

America has lost many battles... We've even lost some "wars." Regardless that, we continue on as a strong nation. We are not the best that we can be, for sure... in fact, sometimes we are downright horrible... but we go forward and proclaim ourselves with greatness.

No, this is not a political statement... but you are from the USA, so it is good to take a lesson from that. (if someone reading is from a different country, just insert your country's name in place of America... because we all are made of greatness)

It is not about the battles and it is not about the wars. What life is about is how we accept and make the best from what we have. I don't know your individual despair, I have my own and so I understand where you are coming from in that respect. What I do understand though is that we as individuals cannot give in. We cannot give up. We cannot continue to try to be the best that we can be. We may not be very good, but as long as we continue to try, we are worth something.

Be worth something. Continue to challenge and pave forward best you can.

3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, that's all very inspiring, but unlike a nation, when an individual loses a war, they die.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying that your particular message doesn't necessarily apply to this situation.

Devin, what I would tell you is that you don't always have to fight. Sometimes it is too hard to deal with, as constantly fighting those battles can be mentally and emotionally exhausting. It's okay to take a break sometimes, stop fighting and just try to get some rest. If you fall, you don't have to get back up right away. But you don't have to surrender, either. Since we're using war analogies here - you can just lay there for a while and let the enemy think that you're dead. It's always worked for me. When those battles become too tough... call in sick, stay home, turn out the lights and tune out the world however you're able to. I'm not saying it will restore you, but after enough rest, you may eventually find the strength to pick yourself back up again and give it another go. Even in my darkest moments, I've found that if I shut down and wait long enough, eventually the worst part of the storm will pass. It may always come back again, but at least you live to fight another day.

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

above

5. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree... however, we still have to survive the war before we can begin to accept the casualties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.