wiping out entire races/ religions just because of what you've heard?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by the masked depressant, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

why do people insist on judging a religion/ race just because of what they've heard?

yesterday, i heard someone say that they want to wipe out the entire religion of islam. i asked them.. well why?. what have they ever done to you and they didon't really have a proper anser, just " hate them all".

i know some muslims, and they are really nice people.

okay.. all races / religions have good and bad people in them, but just because a couple of them arn't that nice- does it really give a right for such a comment?

it's the same with any race / religion

none are perfict- they are what they are

what are you views on this
  2. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

Without religion, good people will do good things, evil people will do evil things. But to make good people do evil things - that takes religion.
  3. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

not quite sure what you are saying there
  4. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

There is nothing on this planet which inspires more hatred than religion.

People want to wipe out other people just because of a insubstantial belief and they think their 'book' tells them to.
  5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Well that's fucking bold of you to say now isnt it :D Sure religion can inspire murder rape and plunder on a massive scale, .. but i can guarentee you religion isnt the most devious thing on the planet.

It's called human beings. Relgions just a tool, it's the fucking idiots that do the shit. And without religion? The samething would happen again, just under a new banner.

*edit* oops
    I dont define a group, i define the people by their actions. A group though that follows a twat? Id hope we could expose him for his inconsistancies and loud mouth garbage that people follow. Usually it's just directed hate that simple people or desperate people latch onto for some sense of purpose or hope in their lives...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  6. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Gosh,it's an odd frame of mind to get into.Take the Nazis for instance,or anyone who hates Jews,it's so irrational and anti-human to even think that way.
    why would you hate the Jew just because they come from people who happened to be influenced by the genetics that result from living in a migratory crossroads?
    You're right,it's nutty.Taking the factual and adding the imaginary as an excuse to behave without thought or feeling.

The same thing is now going on with the Muslims,but instead of fear the fear of surreptitious contamination it is now the alarm of a supposed inevitable and forceful assimilation.

Who would have thought bigots could become less sophisticated in their ignorance?
    Who knew they were even remotely sophisticated in the first place?

Maybe this this is (this is) all bollocks,but like you I am trying to figure out why people think this way.

How can brainless morons be so complex and mystifying?
  7. Mr. E

Mr. E Well-Known Member

Historically, probably. Presently, maybe... but ideology is influenced by more than just religion, and it's probably the clash of ideology that results in such vehement hatred.

I also think the pursuit of power/wealth inspires the most violence, and not religion for religion's sake. Though it is certainly true that religion has been used a platform to pursue power.
  8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

what's the focus though? religion or peoples inability to be content with who they are or the life they are in? I suppose religion helps bend peoples believes and convictions with the prospect of some sort of "reward" or overcomeing their definition of "evil".
    Though it's the same song and dance for any dispute, just re-worded different. "We have to stand up against the evil tyrany of "xxxx" because "xxxx""
    Moral high ground :( It's always good to hate someone, gives you some friction and contrast, and a sense of fullfillment for overcoming the "evil nature" that once flurished in your holy paradise.
    Funny how true evil hides behind and in some religion. But ithink this is just human nature in some degree.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, I was typing out a response to this and I theorize the cause is somewhat unsettling...

Scapegoating is performed to turn a complex sociopoliticoeconomic problem into a simple black and white solution which is much simpler to comprehend, with a whole lot less effort.

I don't believe religion has any net effect on humanity, honestly. The Crusades are often taken to be a religious war, and usually the first defence of an attack against Christianity, but I don't think it was a religious war given its ACTUAL origins... The Crusades were an old Roman-Arab war, and the heirs of Rome were Christians and the heirs of Arabia were Muslims... Same war, different names of combatants.

If there hadn't been Muslim aggression, Byzantium would have crushed Arabia for political gain (as the Romans had tried to); if there hadn't been organized crusades, the Muslims would have conquered Europe - now you can say that it was a religious war on the part of the Muslims, except the Arabs were plenty aggressive before Muhammad came around. With religion involved, or not, there's still a lot of stiffs.

This is sort of an aside, sort of a defence of Christianity... One thing that's often forgotten is that bigotry against Christians is still bigotry.
  10. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

I don't blame the religion, I blame the morons who take it too seriously.
    Holy books were written in very different times. To even try to follow the Bible or the Qur'an to the letter would be unreasonable.

Feel free to have religion but
    1) Take it with a pinch of salt
    2) Don't let a book written by others dictate who YOU are.
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

This is an example of that bigotry. But for some reason it's acceptable. Most "morons who take it too seriously" in any religion harm no one, unless your definition is limited to those who do harm people, in which case you should say "I don't blame the religion, I blame the morons who hurt people".
  12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

For the record, deist religion is not the only thing that's used as a motive for genocide or eugenics, "wiping people off the planet". Scientific theory is also used as a justification for the need to reduce the supposedly swelling "overpopulation" of the world.
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Also good ol' eugenics. We can improve the average human... by removing the below-average humans! SCIENCE!
  14. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Or to preserve a supposedly dwindling amount of basic resources.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.