Wish I hadn't quit my job...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ferret, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

Hi,

For about a year and a half I worked in a call center troubleshooting cell phones. I quit because my supervisor was being a dick and I was turned down for several promotions. I was accepted into another job working at the helpdesk for the hospital in the city I was living in at the time. This job just involved talking calls, tracking problems, and forwarding issues to the next levels of support. It wasn't challenging for me like my previous job and I felt like I was walking in there every day like a robot that was only programmed to do certain things. I could reset passwords, but that was the extent of my troubleshooting. The pay was good though, but that's the only thing I really miss. After my probation period I asked my manager if I could write some IT certifications I was told they would have to be related to my job (I don't think theres any IT certification that specializes in just transferring calls), so I was denied the further training. I was with my ex during that time and when we broke up I was too depressed to continue working there. I remember us having a fight and she said that there are a lot of jobs out there that the person doesn't have to do much of anything to get paid well, and I was one of those people. The person that just sits there "forwarding calls". I took that to heart, but it wasn't the only think that influenced my decision to leave. I felt that IT was slowly leading me over a cliff and I would never get the experience to where I wanted to be. I went back to school and became and electrician instead, but now that I'm finished my schooling, I'm having difficulty finding work. With no income its hard to pay off debts, so I keep asking myself if it was the right choice to make. When I resigned from my last job I was quickly replaced so I can't beg for it back. An ex friend told me that I was too rash in my decision to quit that job, because it could have led to further opportunities. I couldn't see any, and my depression wasn't making things any better. What do you think? If I could get this job back, should I continue with it? We were a helpdesk but weren't really treated as such. The IT administration there disabled most of the helpdesk features on our computers so I just stood there and waited hours sometimes to answer a call. It was so boring, but maybe I should have been glad I had a job. I know I've made a similiar post to this before, but I'm lost on this one. Me and my stupid decisions :(

Thanks for reading.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

You made the right decision. Follow what you want, the money will follow. Take a job that's available till the job you want comes along. My grandma use to say, "You gotta have a job to find a job." In other words, if you have your bread and butter money coming in, you can look for the position you truly want and not take the ones that aren't a good deal.

:hug:

3. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

I agree that you made the right decision. Even though right now in our economic situation we cant be too picky about jobs i think your happiness and sanity was more important. and more than that it motivated you to get more schooling which is great. Go after a job that will stimulate your mind, one that you deserve. I wish you good luck in your job hunt!

4. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

I actually did the same thing recently. I don't regret my decision and I don't think you should either. My job was slowly making me crazy, and I needed better. It's really hard with zero income, but it's better than hanging onto the last shred of my dignity and sanity.

5. rocknrollsuicide

rocknrollsuicide Well-Known Member

I did alomst the same thing too recently, although in my case I really had to leave cause I was told their financial situation was bad and therefore could not afford full time permanent staff like me anymore.
    That place drove me insane and in a way I am happy that I left it as I dreaded every second of it due to the fascist bastards I had to work with.

In your case I think you did the right thing.
    Friends who tell you AFTERWARDS that you shouldn't have, in my opinion are not very supportive. I say that because I know someone who was on my case and told me exactly the same things.
    That is useless talking and quite unfriendly.
    A real friend is a supportive friend especially at time of need.

I on the other hand have still not managed to get a job offer, despite attending several job interviews every single week since I left in september. This is now a cause of big stress, anxiety, depression and suicidal feeling.
    I am trying to hold on to the last few bits of hope I have because frankly I cannot see a way out.

Anyway, do follow your heart, indeed these are tough times but you have made the right choice. Sometimes in life we have to take risks to gain something better out of our own lives.
    Me I am still despertaly searching for my own gains....
    Perhaps you might have found it with the educational staff and that's always good, learning a new craft, especially if it's something we like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.