wish i was white

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by get me out, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. get me out

get me out Active Member

I'm Indian and 24 but born in the USA. All my life been told by other Indians that whites look down on us especially in the work place. I know my parents as scientists take a lot of bs from co workers because of their race.

I got along okay with my friends as a child but they would always make jokes about me being Indian. And now it sucks cuz deep down I always felt I fit in with white people but I can ser they really don't like me.

I don't blame them cus everyone has prejudice of other races but I don't let that affect how I treat others. But I guess some people do :(

2. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi get me out,
    so sorry, I am white and had racist comments because I tan so easily. It really hurts comments like that, many top dr's and other professions are Indian or Asian. I feel they have excellant intelligence and want to do well often, not right this is going on. It is hard ignoring, nobody should be discriminated against. I hate how cultures gang up against each other. People are unique,lets hope things change and colour doesn't matter.Can your parents report to human resources or a manager? or find happier employment?
    Take care
    kate

3. frantic

frantic Well-Known Member

i'm sorry people treat you like that. but even if you're white, people will find something to hate you for. i'm german, living in the us, so i'm an easy target for the whole "nazi" thing. then you have fat people (me being one of them, double whammy), gay people, people who are too skinny, disabled people, "ugly" people, "rednecks", rich people, poor people, people on welfare, and so on. the color of your skin really doesn't matter as much as you'd think. there is so much hatred in the world, there will always be something about anyone that people find "hateworthy".
    i think it's wrong that you grew up being told how whites look down on you. it's not true, and it just causes you to grow up insecure about who you are. people will always discriminate other races, and that goes for ALL races. i used to have what i thought was my best friend, she was black. i didn't care. her son and my son went to school together and were best buddies, we lived close to each other. then one night we had her son over for dinner, and suddenly he said "my mom says black people are better than white people, and black people can not be friends with white people. but she lets me be friends with you (my son)." needless to say, that "friendship" was over. see, even white people are discriminated against.

be who you are, ignore the haters, you are awesome as YOU. i feel sorry for all those people who have nothing but hatred in their hearts. you are better than that.
    "kill em with kindness", don't let them get to you. they're just school yard bullies in a bigger package.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Well, I'm white and I've had racial slurs thrown at me before. I would say just ignore the people who are being rude and ignorant, because if anyone hates you because of the color of your skin, they are just idiots. It can be hurtful but it's not worth thinking about.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If it's not about your color, it's about your height, or your weight, or perhaps you have freckles, or your hair is too long (or too short), or you walk with a limp ("Hey limpy!"), or it's about how much money you make (or don't make). If it's not one thing, it's another. Be proud of who you are and make a difference in the world, if not for others... than at least for yourself. My children are of mixed race and they're proud of it.

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi
    hate and degredation wares people down. It makes them feel horrible about themeselves. I do think we live rin a world where there is way too much racism. And way too much degredation toward groups of people. There is an unconscious belief pattern held by many that it makes the person feel better if they can put someone else down. Weather it be for their ethnicity, size, the way they speak ( eg studder) etc. People are way too often judged by their race. Its true. And that does make it more difficult to live in, the US, in your case. Especially if you live in an area of the US where there are not a huge amount of people of Indian Decent.

There is one man who is of Indian decent who now is getting a lot of acclaim for helping people to feel better about themselves. Perhaps you might like to listen to him. Oprah recently had him on her Super Soul Sunday series. I think he is very inspiring. Maybe listening to him might help you to see your true strength. his name is Panache Desai. He was born in London. And eventually moved to the US. Both is parents were born in India.

I know its hard. I know being a different race in the US ( amongst other countries as well) is very challenging. eg when your parents are not treated as they should be at work. Its not easy. I too was ridiculed. I was demeaned. Consequently I did not feel worthy of enough things. It made life a challenge. yes, my expereince was for different reasons. But the commonality is that I was cauused to feel very bad about myself. And life became a challenge. I hope you like Panache Desai. I would assume you can find him on youtube. I know he has a website. oh yes, for what its worth, there is a woman from India named Amma. Yes, I do know there are many named Amma. This one is the Hugging Amma. Earlier this month she was invited to Washington to hug members of congress. I thought you might like to hear that. There is a video of her hugging them !! I saw it. It was amazing.

7. prakash

prakash Well-Known Member

I am Indian too. I have faced racism but so many Indians are doing very well in USA. This tells me that it is a matter of attitude. Instead of complaining, let us think positive and try to get along with everyone including whites. I was myself denied promotion due to my race and religion. But this was not done by a white but a black immigrant. I should have quit earlier but I quit after nine years. But still my advice to you is to talk to people who are doing well and ask them what they are doing that gets them success.

8. Bluey

Bluey Active Member

You know I walk with a limp and did so when I was at school. I had the mick took out of me and still do have sometimes when out and about walking around town or someplace. The same people that have a problem with your color would most of the time have a problem with the way I walk or if someone was fat or ginger maybe. There truly is some sad people in the world.

9. SuicidalOfCourse

SuicidalOfCourse New Member

Hey. I'm 17 and white, born in America of course. You shouldn't even think twice about things like this. Most American-based predjudice towards Indians is mostly out of jealousy anyway. What I mean by that is most of the time the only real racism you'll ever get is from a few genuine douchebags. Other than that, it's pretty much always just some angry white dude talking about how he's angry because the "Indians are taking all of the jobs." It isn't really meant to be racist. Honestly, I'm sure if a bunch of white people went to India and started taking up jobs as doctors and such, there would be quite the mass of Indians acting racist towards us as well. It's really nothing to worry about.

10. Count Floyd

Count Floyd Well-Known Member

The people who are racist are a small number compared to those of us who are not. There are always going to be people who hate other people for some reason, doesn't matter what the issue is. Ignore those folks. Keep in mind most people are NOT like that. I assure you lots of people like you. I know of an Indian fellow at my work who has said exactly what you have said. He's been living here for a year now and has so many friends and he still wants to be a white male but I think he's finally understanding it's good to be Indian and should be proud of his heritage.

11. LexiRN

LexiRN Active Member

It saddens me what you and your family go thru. Although all the Indians I know are wildly successful (more than me), I think that regardless of success you are a beautiful people and wishing you felt so too, because so sound like a lovely person based on your post. Keep bcontinuing to make both your race and the USA proud by being a great person that you are and smashing the bigotry left and right. Embrace yourself and rock your awesomeness :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.