wondering if it's normal

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do your various mental health providers talk to each other? My therapist has asked if I think it would be good for him to be in contact with my psychiatrist. Maybe it would be, I dunno. He knows way more about my day-to-day moods than my psychiatrist does. I was just wondering if this is a thing that happens often? Or if you've found it helpful.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
it hasn't happened to me but if you trust both then it's a good idea this way the psyc will know more about you. I think if they are both on the same page you would get better and more complete help. mike

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I don't know about others experience, but for me this has been fairly common. They want to compare and talk so they can provide you the best care. It's not anything more than that really. They can't talk if you don't sign the papers, so it's entirely up to you if you want them to or not.

If you feel comfortable with it, it can be a good idea. From what I know, it’s quite often, as they want to give you the best care but your therapist sees you in a different way than your psychiatrist and sometimes can see other things, and tell your psychiatrist what they should pay attention to, etc...
It happened to me because I was having trouble telling my psychiatrist the cause for my problems but my therapist know, so she contacted and explained, which helped the psychiatrist understand what’s going on better.
The important thing is that you feel comfortable with it and if there are some things you don’t feel comfortable your therapist share, you can always say it to them :)

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks all, this is helpful. I have some anxiety about people talking about me when I'm not around, but I do trust my therapist, so it's probably okay. I worry if they compare notes they'll think I need some other med, but I guess I could cross that bridge if it comes to it :/

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
They probably wanted to do so, so that they are making sure that they are going in the right direction in regards to treatments and reviews. I think it is fairly common. I think its a great idea personally, get all the help you can get :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00