Wondering.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by .........., Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ..........

.......... Guest

Has anyone here ever been sectioned from two months to six months? And did it help any? :unsure: Because I'm seriously considering going along with it...But six months is such a long time..

2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

If you go along with it then it won't be a section and you may then be able to leave earlier if things are going well.

3. ..........

.......... Guest

Yeah...I'm under 18, and my parents are basically saying either I do it, or I get kicked out of the house..And I realize I could get out earlier, but meh..I don't know.

4. jingly

jingly Guest

maybe talk to them and your support team about what would be best for you. maybe agree yo go in voluntarily for as long as it takes and the psychs are haapy to discharge you.

a 6 month section can heavily impact on your future, so try to avoid it as much as you can unless it is absolutely necessary.

5. ..........

.......... Guest

Support team? :unsure:

And yes, I realize that it'd have a heavy impact on my future, but at this point, I'm not sure I have a future.

6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

with or without your parents, you need to decide what oyu think is best for you. Look within your heart and if you believe it's right for you than get the help, if you think it willd o more harm then good, fight it.

7. jingly

jingly Guest

By support team i meant those around you that support you, but it's different in different places, could be a CPN, social worker, GP, psych, CMHT, CMHN, the professionals involved.

8. ..........

.......... Guest

So no one then? :laugh:
    Thank you though.

9. jingly

jingly Guest

A six month section should be last resort, so why not start by getting some other forum of professional help. If you have had it before, go and try and get something else.

The doctors would be a good place to start.

10. SpareTire

SpareTire Well-Known Member

I know I'm dumb but whats a section? They might call that something else around here.

11. ..........

.......... Guest

Because, I've had counseling before, and it did no good. Now, I have a DR appointment for tomorrow, but not for any of this. And I realize it's a last resort, but again, it's not my decision, it's up to my parents and what they decide to do, either that, or they'll Baker Act me.

And sectioned, committed, put in hospital, whatever.

12. jingly

jingly Guest

Ther are loads of things out there that could help, meds, therapies like CBT, DBT, CAT, different therapists, OP treatment, voluntary IP treatment. Just because one type of counselling hasn't worked doesn't mean nothing will so explore other options. Maybe get your parents to go to the docs with you to discuss it all with the doc and see what he says.

Oh, and a section is involuntary hospital admission.

13. SpareTire

SpareTire Well-Known Member

Ohhh ok, Now it makes sense to me. My brother had that happen, but I was young at the time and they always said somthing different thinking I woulden't know what they were saying....... Sorry if I upset either of you for asking. I'll butt out now.....

14. doobeeda

doobeeda Guest

Yeah, I dunno. I was, but it didn't help. I'm not going to give you the ins and outs of it and discourage you from it, because it's based on the individual.

But it really depends on whether or not you let it work for you.

If not doing it is gonna screw you over anyway, then I'd do it. You have nothing to lose. At the very least, you break even. Might even be (dare I say it?) beneficial. :eek:hmy:

I don't know, hun. You're all independent and shit. You'd have to WORK with them. :tongue:

Though, 6months might be longer than would be advantageous; taking away from your schoolwork and the time you have to do other things may not be good.

2months might be helpful. :smile:

Obviously, it's up to you. It boils down to what seems right. Do you think it'll benefit you or no? Are you unsure? Weigh your options.

Ah, and just to say, if you go for a bit and cooperate with the staff, they might feel you've made improvements and such and let y ou out sooner than you expected.

But, to be blunt, I don't see why you wouldn't give it a try when either way, you're basically screwed. >.<

Best wishes in your decision.

My sympathies. :hug: Hang in there.

15. ..........

.......... Guest

doobeeda~

I'm going to guess you know who this is, and I think I know who you are. :wink:
    Thanks, a lot, I really appreciate it. :hug:

jingly~

Thank you, for your replies, appreciated.

I honestly think I have no choice either way now..So, I guess we'll see how it goes, eh?

16. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Being committed/sectioned for mental health treatment would have a negative effect on your future?

In the U.S., I think it's illegal for employers to discriminate based upon, or even ask about, your medical history.

Not sure about the UK, tho.

17. jingly

jingly Guest

YEs, if you are on a 6 month section (in the UK), then you can not go to certain countries or have certain joibs. I have been on one and it made things a whole lot worse than things were before.

To the original poster, whatever you decide, I hope it helps. I'm not sure though, whether the professionals would accept you on a six month section straight away, that is a section for assessment and treatment. A one month section is for assessment only, so they might go for that first.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I really do think, before you and your parents make up your minds, go and discuss it with a doctor first.

18. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're discouraging people from getting treatment by their discrimination.

Out of curiosity, which jobs?

19. jingly

jingly Guest

They are not discouraging people from getting help because people getting help will most likely not be sectioned at that level. People getting help will get the chance for a voluntary admission, or a smaller section, or will have extesnive support to help them in the community. A 6 month section is used as a very last resort, when all other avenues have been tried, or when the patient is at such a high risk the team dare not put them on a lesser section.

People seeking help should have access to a whole variety of treatment and shouldn't really end up like that.

I don't know what jobs, nor what countries. I was on a six month section and I couldn't bear to find out yet (given that I'm still not well enough to work).

If you're really interested maybe try looking at the NHS Direct site or e-mailing the NHS Direct people and asking because they should be able to tell you.

20. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I was on a 28 day section for assessment and then got placed on a six month section.

I wasn't allowed to go out of the hospital grounds unless the consultant psychiatrist signed a form. And even then I had to be back at a certain time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.