wondering.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by wheresmysheep, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i pull out my eye lashes and my hair.. i know its not as traumatic as cuttin, which i also do. but i'm just curious if anyone knows of any reason self harm would manifest itself this way, and does anyone else do it??

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I used to pull out my hair. I dont know why... I just did it. It wasn't that noticable though, because my hair is super thick anyways, but you could still tell a difference. It's called trichotillomania, if you ever get bored and decide to look it up.

TDM

3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I have no idea why we do it babes :hug:

But I bite the inside of my mouth to the point where it bleeds, (sometimes I dont know I'm doing it...sometimes it's through stress or nerves) pull my eyelashes out, and I used to pull my hair out too but have stopped this.

:hug:

4. Rachel123

Rachel123 Well-Known Member

I'm a hair puller too. The technically name has already been mentioned a few posts up. It's embarassing sometimes. I do my best to hold back..... I'd rather have cuts on my arms than no eyelashes!

5. wheresmysheep

pulling has a more calming effect on me than cutting.
    but now after my recent bought i have no eyelashes.. so i look wierd
    :sad:

6. Rachel123

I know what you mean. It's Verrrryyy calming and relieving. I used to do it ALOT more when I was in my teens. I'm 23 now. There were times when I had almost no eyelashes and my eyebrows were barely there.....then I would get made fun of and that made me feel even worse.
    Basically now I have control over it......when I do it.. I try to do it from my head...but try not to pull them all from my crown as to think it out.
    This may sound gross but I actually pull pubic hair as well. The relief from them his huge because I almost always get the root. Hahaha....Sorry.

7. porcelain child

porcelain child Well-Known Member

Wow i do this too... i didn't realise it was considered as self harm... you learn something new every day...

Claire...

8. wheresmysheep

I was actually reading up on it.its not self harming.its a form of ocd.put its more that just pulling hair tho And rachel,i know exactly what you mean with getting the root.occasionally pull from the pubic area,but it i use tweezers.i pull all eyelashes and head hair with my hands.i'm very thin on my left side of my hair now.i'm trying desperately not to pull my eyebrows atm.

9. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I used to pull my hair out but I had to stop as my daughter started copying me! I used to have lovely thick hair but not anymore, it never grew back the same.

I still chew on the insides of my mouth til it bleeds tho, sometimes to the point that my mouth is really sore :mad:

Lea :hug:

10. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

I've done the hair pulling one many a time Em. :hug:

11. darkeyes

darkeyes Well-Known Member

I don't pull my hair out but I will take scissors to it in fits of rage and chop away not caring how ugly it will be later, it feels so good in the moment. I also pull out eyelashes a lot but it's not to the point where it's noticeable at all. I think for me it's more a nervous habit like chewing on my nails than it is self harm.

12. Rachel123

I use tweezers too....Samsies!! :hug:

13. wheresmysheep

Well look at us.we're all a bunch of pullers :smile: nice to know i'm not wierd.well not so much anyway :grouphug:

14. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

i don't actually pull my hair out or anything
    but i thought i'd mention that it's not really a self-harm thing
    i heard that in some people (those more prone to get trichotillomania), it creates a feeling, like calm, because it makes your brain release a chemical that calms you down... i don't know whether it's all people or just a select few, but that's what i've heard.
    and that because of the "trance-like state" it makes it really pleasurable and so hair-tugging and interest in hair follicles (sp?) and stuff is linked
    something like that
    x

15. Rachel123

It calms you down....Just like self harming. So it's not actually SI...But you get a similar effect

16. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I pull my hair too. I tried to give it up a few months ago after I noticed bald spots but it didn't last long.

I do it a lot of the time without realising, I used to think it was just boredom. I've never seen it as sh cos to me it started when I was looking for split ends. Now I've noticed that I do it more so when I am nervous or worried.

My bald bits are starting to grow in but the hair is all thin & wispy, it's not a good look so I tend to pull those bits out too.

17. wheresmysheep

Yeah,like i said i've been reading about it. Its NOT sh. Its OCD or at least some form of it.its not just an act of pulling hair.theres normally a ritual and steps that need to be taken by the pullee for it to be given the tich name.its made me feel a bit less of a freak for doing it.i thought i was alone in it but obviously not :smile:

18. Rachel123

I had thought I was alone as well :hug:

19. Victori@

Victori@ Well-Known Member

I pick my fingers... some people bite their nails and such but i pick at my fingers and cuticles till they bleed... It's really gross and I hate looking at my hands... My fingers are beat red down to my knuckels from picking at them... I get excited when they heal up a bit so I can pick more...

I have worn my thumbs down so much that I have no more feeling in them from all the built up scar tissue...

ewwww I wish I could stop!!

I love you em!!! stop pulling out your eyelashes and hair... your to pretty!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.