Word of warning

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ruby, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

.. about this forum. I'm lead to believe that people have been creating anonymous usernames and quoting from threads have been created. People are trying to expose this website as 'pro suicide' despite the name 'a support forum in crisis'. I've been told that people on here are using certain code words to try and expose my future suicidal plans. I'm worried about posting on here because i'm sure that my psychiatrist is trying to find a way of admitting me under the mental health act (again). I'm 99% certain that someone has got access to the files on my laptop and an unknown source is actually watching me through my built in webcam (i've covered the cam with plasters to try and avoid this). I'm just worried about who to trust these days.

2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

No offense, but it sounds like some truth/warnings/hear say blown out of proportion by paranoia?

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am wondering who it is that you heard this from?

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I heard a voice telling me so. Apparently my psychiatrist is a member on here trying to get me sectioned.

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

i think it's okay Ruby. The voice was mistaken and misled you. I don't know if your psych is a member here or not, but you are safe for now.

6. Canti

Canti Guest

Dude ive been paraniod before its not nice. I couldnt get to sleep thinking that someone was going to climb through my window (i was on his ´hit list´for a while).

Im not sure what to say. If you have definate proof then sure be carefull but if you´re drawing alot of conclusions then its probably a good idea to try and chillout. I used to draw the smallest concluesions it drove me mad.

7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

:hug: Ruby.

8. danni

danni Chat Buddy

ruby :hug:

9. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

Well, this seems like a slight amount of paranoia. But so long as you don't give out personal infos and such, if your psych is a member here he won't notice.

At any rate, let me delve into the technical issues.

Having access to files requires finesse. You'd need a trojan horse virus - a good one at that. Since most every virus scanner nowadays has enough `smarts` to pick one up. Even though most are really stupid. <.< So unless the guys a super genious, chances are likely he doesn't have access.

To view your webcam without you knowing is actually pretty impossible, unless again with atrojan horse. See information above for clarification. The only way they could do it is if you turned it on, they caught the packet and sent it a keep-alive command type of thing. And for that to happen, they'd need your IP. Not entirely hard to get, but challenging nonetheless. And even then, they'd need to either be fluent in hexidecimal or know how to find a converter that isn't going to bullshit them entirely - challenging as well.

End tech rant.

I hope all goes well.

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.