Word processing

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi guys & gals, as part of my course I am starting in september, 1 module is word processing, I have no clue how to do this. I will have to get microsoft word but as of now I do not even know how to take a screenshot *embarrassed* could someone please explain word processing to me and maybe help me out a bit so that I can have a bit of a head start of something I know nothing about.

2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Word processing? I'm not sure lol I think from my limited understanding of office terminology it's basic usage of programs like Word, and Office.

Very losely, it's similar to the posting ability on the forum. You have the ability to create text, and adjust it. From the font, size/colour ect. They call this styling.
    In word programs, you have more options available to you. Such as selecting the size of the paper you are writing on. From there, you can adjust the margin(which is the space from the edge to where your text appears). And a mirade of other options, which relate to display/or printing.

Word programs give you more options for the input of images, and adjust placement of text. On here it's rigid. But you can select portions of text in word programs and move them around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxIBY7oDGWw <--- zing. Grab a bottle of whisky and have at that. I last 3 seconds :D

Generally google is your best bet if you are curious. Youtube offers great stuff because of great people sharing their knowledge and experiences :)

If you are using windows 8, right click on your desktop and go to new. Then select Rich Text Document. That's a pretty basic text editor. But I believe it has alot of the features as Word, so you can familiarize yourself with it a bit.

Screen shots are easy :D On your keyboard there is a button called Print Screen(PrtSc) Press this button. You have now just taken a screenshot of what your screen was displaying. But where is it? It's stored in a temporary location called your ClipBoard.
    You now need to load that temporary screenshot into a program that can view images. Word, Rich Text Documents, and Paint are some of the many programs that let you paste that image. Open one of these, and go to edit-->paste. Or hit Ctrl-V. And there you go.

Screenshot
    Hit PrintScreen(PrtSc)
    Open Paint/Word/ Rich Text Document
    Edit --> Paste (or Ctrl + V)

3. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I don't have much else to add that justMe7 hasn't already said.

In the past, Microsoft has offered a discounted "Microsoft Office" version for students.

4. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

You can get a student package (like x.ark said) which has Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote.

Can get Office 365 personal. This has all you need but requires an annual renewal

Microsoft Office 365 University is a four year subscription. But you need an academic e-mail address.

And you can access Microsoft Word Online for free if you search it into google.

If you need help with which to buy, let me know as I've bought just recently for my sister who is starting university next year.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thank you all, you couldn't have been more helpful. Lots of info and to the point, ye are amazing, i will for sure let you know closer to when i begin college which one i need. Thanks again :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.