Words for thought.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wheresmysheep, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1I6ljzaY9k&sns

‎"if a child on the streets, is willing to share, why are we who are rich, so greedy..." Never a truer statment said.
    Why do the people in "power" never listen to such strong voices.
    No matter how small.
    Things need to change.

2. Raven

Raven Guest

Power,
    Why feed the child when you need a new golf course?
    Empathy has been destroyed; our society does not reward it.
    No one cares for those that can’t feed themselves.

3. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

This is right in a sense we are all sociopaths(lacking empathy for our self involved interests), who are concerned about a shade of nail or "if these pants make my ass look fat", while people don't have clean drinking water, and are wasting away from disease and starvation...

People are just egoists, selfish in nature, for the most part people only care about themselves and those closest to them... Feeding starving children in Africa or giving medicine to them for potentially fatal diseases is of no concern, why help someone I don't know and don't care about when I can buy myself some new shoes, clothes, car or even a better a nicer house. Why? because people are so far separated from it, with enough distance someone can close their hearts to others suffering. It's just the same when something tragic such as a horrible car accident(multiple deaths) happens in your city if that same thing happened in a another city in a different country it's very likely you wouldn't hear about. Whereas in your city that same story is fight page news. There have been around 100,000 deaths in Iraq many whom are civilians and we're all so far separated from it, even though the war created on false pretenses of spreading democracy or even worse finding non existent weapons of mass destruction. Most of the soldiers are good people, very admirable in many respects however there have been cases of family's getting shot up and their young daughters getting raped by soldiers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCzLN61RoOQ Imagine if some other country invaded the US and did this to some innocent family the outrage Americans would be feeling? My dad mentioned something about this the other night and how the guys who did it only got 10-15 years from the court marshal... Imagine if that was done at home in the US these guys would have gotten the death penalty in states where it was available or at the very least the rest of their lives in prison.

If one follows psychological egoism even acts that may be seen as altruist in nature have some self interested benefit. Donating money to charity is so you can be viewed in a more positive light in society, or you can personally feel better for helping others.

Regarding what raven said about power, yes power can be quite evil, it can corrupt just about anyone given the right circumstances. An example... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_study

Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other. -- Carl Jung

In many cases people who live off power will do anything to keep and maintain it. This includes the drug cartels. A soldier in Mexico was killed during a raid on a drug lord who was also killed. His mother was promised a lifetime pension for his son's honorable death. She and her family became the target a hit crew attacked his family's house and shot the whole place up killing them all. Money and power are the evil that drives these kind of people.

Even in Africa where they don't have the legal system and government structure many of us take for granted, if someone speaks out against their country their family member could be taken and executed in retaliation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  4. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

There are lots of people who help the starving - poor people like me will donate something - and I know the money is spent wisely because a few missionaries in my church live there!

Empathy has not been destroyed.

People care - and every man wants to hoist up a black flag and make sure that a few tyrants don't get the chance to take anyone else down with their greed and avarice.

Wealth is its own ghetto!

Beware the risen people!

Who would not stand for this.

Embrace your empathy, it is a weapon of mass destruction.

We will win in the end.

Winning! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.