Work and Depression

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by lightning05, Jul 17, 2016.

1. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever missed work because they were feeling so severely depressed that they couldn't be around anyone? I feel very guilty about not going in tomorrow. (Although it is a normal day off for me, they are short right now even though there are other people who probably could help out.) I will say I'm out of town and then I feel guilty. Like I am a slacker and don't have any principles when really I am trying to bring my mood up so I can not feel like breaking down at work. (I had a panic attack at work on Friday but no one saw or knows). I am also planning on making appointments to see a new therapist tomorrow. I just want to know if I'm the only one that has not gone to work because of anxiety, depression suicidal ideation and how to not feel bad about it?!

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I missed work because I was in the psych ward. I told my employer that I was in the hospital, but I did not tell him why. I had just started my job.

Yes I felt bad for not being at work but I could not do anything about it because I was in the hospital.

You are not a slacker. You deserve and need to take the time to put yourself first. If you do not care for yourself you might end up missing more days in the long run.

3. lightning05

Thank you. You are right, it will just lead me to miss more in the future. I am only about 2 months into this job so I am still nervous about "looking good". I am not going in because setting an appointment fo a new therapist is priority since suicidal ideation is starting again :(

4. iam

iam SF Supporter

Im going to try start back to work today. It's the first time I have taken time off due to depression and anxiety. I've been off about 2 months no. I'm self employed so there's no sick pay and my insurance doesn't cover mental health unless I get sectioned. I was always brought up to work hard so I really do struggle to take time off but I was just too exhausted and depressed to do anything and didn't want to see anyone. I just need to see how it goes this week. Your definitely no slacker and I know how you are feeling. Hugs x

5. RetroJoe

RetroJoe Member

I've felt horrible in the past for missing work due to being in a deep depression. I don't know about others but my depression is physically painful. You're not a a slacker for missing work due to depression. The fact that you feel you're a slacker says to me that you aren't. Just do the best you can.

6. lightning05

@iam I hope you were able to start work this week feeling a little better. @RetroJoe thanks, just trying to hang in there and not think about things while I'm there and focus on my tasks for the day. Luckily my job can be fast paced at times so the day goes by faster. I'm managing right now but still boiling a little under the surface.

iam likes this.
  7. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Actually feel this way today because of starting a new job tomorrow which is kind of sad. I dread tonight when the thoughts will dance in my head and keep me from sleeping.

8. iam

iam SF Supporter

Your going to be fine mpk. Stay strong buddy and let us know how your first day goes :)

lightning05 likes this.
  9. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

iam, thanks I am truly trying to keep calm and relaxed, doing all the self help tools that I have. I will try tomorrow evening to post yet it depends on what happens during day. I am scared as hell, never felt this way about a job before. I know everyone goes through this and that the worst is not necessary the reality of the situation.
    I felt so much pressure at home to become responsible again and don't want to fail.

iam likes this.
  10. silis

silis Active Member

i dont get any off time ever. i sent an email to our stores customer service, telling them that i hate my job and that i want to kill myself. and it turns out my area manager found that email, and it so happens that he is coming to the store tomorow. i just hate it right now. i just want to nowt show up for work tomorrow, and just walk into the ocean and die.

11. lightning05

I'm sorry you feel that badly about your job @silis . Is your area manager going to the store tomorrow specifically because you sent that email? Have you tried applying to different places if you're that unhappy there?

12. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

I have missed class and work due to depression, having no motivation to get up and always felt bad about it. I wrote e-mails to my teachers and they were very understanding about it, I was able to pass the classes except for one which I missed way too many days. As for work, I called in and just was vague, saying I wasn't feeling well which was true, lying would make me feel worse. I'm not sure how to not feel bad about it, but depression is as difficult to deal with as any physical ailment a person might have. Is therapy helping? I know it's scary to bring up at work, but is there an EAP (Employee Assistance Program)? Maybe they could help you deal with work stress and make some reasonable accommodations to prevent situations which may trigger panic attacks.

13. lightning05

I feel more comfortable being honest at school than at work too. I usualy just say I am not feeling well but haven't felt the real need to call out lately. In the mornings (like now) I feel shitty and don't want to go but I think its just my depression telling me to crawl back in bed. I also haven't been sleeping well so its probably partly fatigue too. I don't think my job ha anything like that and nothing there triggered me I was just feeling very down that day. People at my job love to gossip (even my manager - she is one of the worst ones) and talk shit abput others, that's why I keep to myself a lot. I don't trust them with the tiniest bit of info because I know it will be spread around so I keep silent most of the time unless it's work related. Therapy is helping and I've been seeing my new therapist for about 3 weeks. This job is probably feeding into mt depression a little but I am exploring other options and hope to leave by the end of the year to be in a more professional environment with people who aren't so judgemental and rude.

14. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

silis, I have been keeping my head down at my new job other than a couple of negative interactions it has been okay. I agree with Jenumbra that if there is an EAP program take advantage of it and don't worry it is supposed to be confidential

15. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

That's great, I'm glad therapy is helping. I had a similar work situation with gossipy, negative coworkers, it does really wear you down being around people like that, hope you find a better place soon.

MisterBGone and lightning05 like this.
  16. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

The guilt of having missed work unless I am seriously physically unable to go is worse than dealing with the depression of going to work. Work is depressing because I am not living my life in any fun ways right now..my job the same thing, no growth..but that is a job of an undergraduate! Not sure I will graduate because I might lose my financial aid for the next term as I lost motivation to keep up my coursework or put much effort into it so my GPA dropped below the standard.

Depression is a disease. In my perspective, it is a valid excuse to call out when you feel so severely affected by any mental illness it would cause you too much discomfort to go to work. I would do it too if it gets that bad, lately work has been ok, but I tend to think negatively alot there..so I really want to give my notice and find something that gives me more distractions and a more enjoyable environment.

17. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

I've frequently missed days of work/class due to feeling too depressed to get up. Ironically, I'm now suicidally depressed because I'm long-term unemployed.