Work becoming overwhelming

Marilyn1962

Hey everyone, every time I post here it seems to be about work. I’ve recently got a promotion, I’ve been offered the job of funeral director, I used to be a funeral arranger.

From early on in the process my family and friends told me I should go for it. I never wanted to, but I caved and went to the interview. I was offered the position the day after. I was and still am absolutely gutted because I don’t feel capable ( crippling self esteem issues).

Anyways I’ve been moved to a different branch for the position, however, due to moving my wage over or some crap like that I’ve been sat doing admin work with the main receptionist... not my previous job role or the one I’m supposed to be doing. For reasons I won’t get into because it would take too long, I’m triggered by admin and I’m really bad at it. Seems ridiculous I know. I didn’t even know that’s what they had planned for me while they did the wage switch. I turned up on my start date (they told me the day before) and I was suddenly roped in with answering the phone etc. They have never specifically told me what my role was to be, the manager wasn’t even there the day I started. I know this is supposedly temporary but I’m at my wits end. I’m exhausted, when I’m not at work I sleep lol day, I’m on the verge of anxiety attacks at work, I’m not myself. To top it all off the woman I’m working with is let’s say, not a nice person. I have spoke to my manager but he’s saying it’s out of his hands it’s up to HR. I feel like ringing in sick tomorrow because I am DONE.

btw they can get away with this because the job role is technically the same, although I’m ‘funeral arranging’ for 4 branches now and doing a lot more on top of that

Wispiwill

I think that, maybe, you need to have a serious talk with someone in charge to get your role sorted. You need to know exactly what your job is supposed to be. Then, maybe, you can start to sort out what to do next.

Good luck.

Sad Elf

Hi

that sounds really fustrating. Have they been able to tell you how long this temporary admin stuff will last? Do you know exactly what the new job will involve? In my experience employers can often be vague on this but I think it's important to start on the right foot, also to understand if the job will be suitable.

Elf

Marilyn1962

No, they’ve said that it’s totally out of their hands as HR have a backlog of employee wages to sort. I know what the new job will involve but I’ve had absolutely no training yet due to covering someone else’s admin shifts. I feel like they’re taking advantage of me on top of feeling stressed and anxious. I’ve never called in sick in over a year but I really want to tomorrow

Sewicide

No, they’ve said that it’s totally out of their hands as HR have a backlog of employee wages to sort. I know what the new job will involve but I’ve had absolutely no training yet due to covering someone else’s admin shifts. I feel like they’re taking advantage of me on top of feeling stressed and anxious. I’ve never called in sick in over a year but I really want to tomorrow
Maybe calling off sick is actually what you need. Take a day to decide what to do next

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00