work issues seem to be common among us

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by penguin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. penguin

penguin New Member

For those of us that are lucky to have a job in these times..... sometimes I can tell you that its not as great as it seems. I hate hate hate my job. They expect me to work 7 days a week, and many nights I stay up all night to meet deadlines. My dad had a heart attack last week, he lives 3 states away and now my mom is in the hospital. I cannot leave to go see them because my job says there are things to be done here. They are so cruel. Its like they know the unemployment rate so they treat us like crap. I feel so useless and I am afraid I would not find another job fast enough so I am afraid to quit. Its affecting my health! I have depression have for years but its only getting worse. I am not a quitter. I have always had a great job and I have worked hard to get where I am at, but I just want to quit. I cannot take it anymore. They never say thank you, they just criticize and tell you what you are doing wrong. Not sure I can do this. Any thoughts?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and welcome...when I have had jobs that were truly hell, I remembered that I went there to pay the bills and did not let them get to me personally...I know how difficult that is, but sometimes, you have to suspend you judgement...yes, do not quit this one before you find another one, but keep looking...just the process of looking will make you feel better so you do not feel so stuck...welcome again and I hope they are treated like they have treated you

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

welcome to the forum. wish i knew what to say, but i'm young and new (and self-employed) in the world of work. i'm sorry to hear about your parents. it'd tear me to pieces knowing that they're sick and i'm all the way across the country and can't do anything about it. is there a union or something that you could complain to, maybe? workers' rights, even?

if you're going to look for a new job though, make sure you hang onto the one you currently have and don't quit it until you have a definite offer. you dont wanna be out of work, after all.