Work sucks

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by asdf12345, Jun 8, 2009.

1. asdf12345

asdf12345 Member

And I really have no fucking idea how I'm going to deal with this till I die all alone. I'm a computer programmer, and it's not that I don't like what I do. If I could just stay at home and do stuff by myself, I'd be a lot happier. Despite my efforts I just don't fit in at work though... and it's so hard especially with language and cultural barriers in my own country. I was born here. I've never lived abroad for an extended period of time so I shouldn't theoretically feel like this at all.

But the prospect of having to do this every day after I graduate, until I die, makes me feel like I should just end this mess I don't even know how to get out of, since we're all going to die anyway. Why not now?

I'm sure it's a common feeling. How do you guys deal with it?

2. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

A lot of people start in one profession and end up in something entirely different by the time they retire. There is a very strong chance you will do the same, and that should be of some comfort. There is a lot of scope in programming. You could, for instance, make that dream game that I keep having these incredible visions about, should only cost mmm I dunno, about $40 mill or so..

3. asdf12345

asdf12345 Member

Actually I've had a couple game programming jobs and a few small games released... but I just dunno. It's hard to like a job that you spend all day at, and you're left with no time to yourself at all.

4. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

From what Ive heard, people that work on games devote huge hours to the task. Not a particularly healthy occupation imo, but perhaps you could look at freelance work where you have a little more scope to build in some time for yourself every day rather than punching a clock for a manager/boss.

5. asdf12345

asdf12345 Member

*sigh* Yeah, that's actually a good idea if not for the pay and stuff, I never really thought about it. I think it'd be easier to deal with doing stuff like that. Thanks for talking. :)