• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Work

lightning05

Some relevant background: I'm a temp and I started my current assignment at the height of the pandemic when everything in the U.S. began to close (March). They needed inventory help and to give equipment like laptops, hotspots, and phones to people going to work from home. Some time in May they heard of a buyback program where if they sent back 1,000 phones they would receive what I'm guessing is a good amount of money. The catch is that this needs to be completed by the end of August. They set up a project to get 1,000 users to return and exchange phones for newer ones. Currently we have only done 53 as we are only able to do this project once a week (contractual reasons). Needless to say we definitely aren't going to make 1,000. I'm not sure who decided it would be a good idea to invite 1,000 people to stop by in large groups to exchange phones in the middle of a pandemic when 80% of the workforce is working from home. People are either too busy, live too far away, are on vacation, or declining for health reasons. Some are just plain ignoring us and I can't blame them.

Yesterday I found out that I came in contact with someone who tested positive for the virus. The policy is to let the job know and quarantine for 2 weeks or until you receive a negative test result. I told my job and they were trying to get me to keep working because they have reached desperation mode with the project. [They are trying to force hundreds of people to come in the next few weeks so they can make the deadline but people aren't coming for the reasons stated above.] In order for them to even let me leave for the day they made me call my doctor, who confirmed that anyone in contact with a positive person should self isolate. They told me it was "my call" to make, basically trying to put me in a situation where I was made to seem like I didn't want to work. Meanwhile I'm worried about mine and my family's damn health.

I called my recruiter who was shocked that they told me to continue working and stated the isolation policy. She told me to isolate and that she'd handle my dept. I had to call her again because my co-workers have been repeatedly calling and leaving me voicemails asking about the project even though I emailed them all the information I had before I left. I was trying to call testing places because I care about my health more than a failing project. My recruiter had to tell my dept that they need to stop calling me as I'm on a specific leave for virus situations and that it counts as work when I have to answer my coworkers.

I'm disappointed and angry that this dept is prioritizing this buyback program over health. My state is one of the hot spots right now and trying to force people to come en masse just so they can sell back phones is disgraceful, in my opinion. I'm even more upset because of how they wouldn't let me leave yesterday and basically made me feel like I was doing something wrong by following the rules. Not to mention constantly calling me while I am trying to get myself tested, as though finding out I could potentially have this virus isn't stressful enough. I now wonder how many people in this department may have been coerced into continuing to come into work when being positive or knowing they could be. Overall not happy right now.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer
SF Supporter
They sound like they wouldn't even be a good company to work for if they offered it. They sound understaffed and cutting corners. Setting unrealistic expectations on the workers. Are you very hard up for money? If you can, maybe you can ask the temp agency to get you in somewhere else? It's good that the temp agency knows that your job is harrassng you... Ultimately you have to do things via the temp agency policies. its not your fault.

Last edited:

lightning05

Thanks for the responses. I was made to seem unreasonable about wanting to isolate and get tested. I have lost 2 family members to this virus so I'm taking it very seriously. My recruiter is completely on my side and they haven't called me anymore and I haven't logged on.

Financially I'm doing okay so that's why I'm not really worried about taking the leave (I will be paid a certain number of hours for it). I already got a vacation approved for the first week of August and I am done there at the beginning on September, so I'm probably just going to hold out until it's over at this point. With the virus leave and upcoming vacation I basically only have a few weeks of work left.

I do plan on telling them that with this recent scare the project makes me uncomfortable. I am going to ask to be a more "behind the scenes" person and not the one meeting with people. I don't want to take any more chances.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Thanks for the responses. I was made to seem unreasonable about wanting to isolate and get tested. I have lost 2 family members to this virus so I'm taking it very seriously. My recruiter is completely on my side and they haven't called me anymore and I haven't logged on.

Financially I'm doing okay so that's why I'm not really worried about taking the leave (I will be paid a certain number of hours for it). I already got a vacation approved for the first week of August and I am done there at the beginning on September, so I'm probably just going to hold out until it's over at this point. With the virus leave and upcoming vacation I basically only have a few weeks of work left.

I do plan on telling them that with this recent scare the project makes me uncomfortable. I am going to ask to be a more "behind the scenes" person and not the one meeting with people. I don't want to take any more chances.
i'm sorry for your losses, i think all people should take this virus seriously...mike...*hug

Lane

SF Supporter
Some relevant background: I'm a temp and I started my current assignment at the height of the pandemic when everything in the U.S. began to close (March). They needed inventory help and to give equipment like laptops, hotspots, and phones to people going to work from home. Some time in May they heard of a buyback program where if they sent back 1,000 phones they would receive what I'm guessing is a good amount of money. The catch is that this needs to be completed by the end of August. They set up a project to get 1,000 users to return and exchange phones for newer ones. Currently we have only done 53 as we are only able to do this project once a week (contractual reasons). Needless to say we definitely aren't going to make 1,000. I'm not sure who decided it would be a good idea to invite 1,000 people to stop by in large groups to exchange phones in the middle of a pandemic when 80% of the workforce is working from home. People are either too busy, live too far away, are on vacation, or declining for health reasons. Some are just plain ignoring us and I can't blame them.

Yesterday I found out that I came in contact with someone who tested positive for the virus. The policy is to let the job know and quarantine for 2 weeks or until you receive a negative test result. I told my job and they were trying to get me to keep working because they have reached desperation mode with the project. [They are trying to force hundreds of people to come in the next few weeks so they can make the deadline but people aren't coming for the reasons stated above.] In order for them to even let me leave for the day they made me call my doctor, who confirmed that anyone in contact with a positive person should self isolate. They told me it was "my call" to make, basically trying to put me in a situation where I was made to seem like I didn't want to work. Meanwhile I'm worried about mine and my family's damn health.

I called my recruiter who was shocked that they told me to continue working and stated the isolation policy. She told me to isolate and that she'd handle my dept. I had to call her again because my co-workers have been repeatedly calling and leaving me voicemails asking about the project even though I emailed them all the information I had before I left. I was trying to call testing places because I care about my health more than a failing project. My recruiter had to tell my dept that they need to stop calling me as I'm on a specific leave for virus situations and that it counts as work when I have to answer my coworkers.

I'm disappointed and angry that this dept is prioritizing this buyback program over health. My state is one of the hot spots right now and trying to force people to come en masse just so they can sell back phones is disgraceful, in my opinion. I'm even more upset because of how they wouldn't let me leave yesterday and basically made me feel like I was doing something wrong by following the rules. Not to mention constantly calling me while I am trying to get myself tested, as though finding out I could potentially have this virus isn't stressful enough. I now wonder how many people in this department may have been coerced into continuing to come into work when being positive or knowing they could be. Overall not happy right now.
Like my company, they probably talk a good game, but just care about getting work done and money.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I'm glad that you're placement agency is supportive though. Companies seem to be making it up as they go along.

Also, I'm sorry for your losses.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Whats the followup on the situation? Did you self isolate and get paid for it too? now cases still on the up and up. My state is threatening to lock back down if cases still going up. 👀

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$600.00
Goal
$255.00