working outside the EU with a criminal record

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by mad hatter, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad hatter

    mad hatter Active Member

    hi all!
    sorry if this is the wrong place to post but seemed good enough
    i am planning on leaving England to do voluntary work abroad, possibly sub saharan africa or middle east
    however i have a criminal record for the minor offense breach of peace (basically drunk and disorderly)
    im unsure what the laws are, i know the USA are pretty strict but does that only include violent crimes and drugs offenses or does it apply to everybody with a record.

    if you know the rules from where you are from please let me know
    or if you know which organisation i need to speak to please tell me

    may the force be with you!
  2. ~PinkElephants~

    ~PinkElephants~ Senior member

    Your best bet is to call up the American Embassy in London to get some info on it. Also be honest with them b/c if you hide things they will be less forgiving.

    Hope that helps :dunno:
  3. Puddytat

    Puddytat Well-Known Member

    i honestly dont think some ppl you volunteer to help are going to care about your minor misdemeanor.
    i have a criminal record but i keep it extremely hush hush, never fill it out in any applications but then i dont know if whichever organization you go thru will want to do checks. its best to just ask the organization itself, you'd be surprised at how much they dont really care if you have an offence like that. ppl are stupid and impetuous, they do silly things sometimes. most ppl understand that and are forgiving. if you are too scared then call them anonymously.
  4. ~CazzaAngel~

    ~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

    I agree. :hug: :)
  5. mad hatter

    mad hatter Active Member

    i know the company probably dont give a shit either way but its the laws of the country that'll stop me
    some countrys will flat out refuse you entry if you have a record
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.