World Famine and Media

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by here2day, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. here2day

here2day Well-Known Member

So what do you all think about the media's presentation on the world shortage of food? Do you think we are on the brink of a world famine (or in it?) How do you see the situation being righted? Do you think America and the UK are going to be drastically affected by this?

I just want to see what other people are thinking on this subject. My hubbie and MIL (my only adult conversationalist) don't have much of an opion on it. Everyone else I've spoken to see to be in denial or neutral about the topic. They seem to think they won't be affect by the going ons in Egypt and Africa.

People live in tiny little boxes with blinders on.
  2. I belong to this group - Avaaz (it means "voice" in several languages). This is not an organization prone to "propaganda", but try their best to reach people on numerous global issues. There are a lot of interesting articles regarding famine/food prices, from various media sources below (you can also add your own comments on a few of them)...The issues are diverse and complex. And it sadly goes without saying that until the "Have's" experience a small bit of what the "Have Not's" have already suffered through (for instance, when the eventual & increasing effects of Global Weather Changes are felt, and which no one will be immune from), few here will push the "panic button"...

I hope this gives you something to sink you teeth into, as others around you are so far "indifferent". :dry:

Dear friends,

Rocketing prices threaten to starve millions and make us all less secure -- sign the emergency petition for action to stop the world food crisis

Sign the Petition
    Watch the Video
    Have you noticed food costing more when you shop? Here's why -- we're plunging headlong into a world food crisis. Rocketing prices are squeezing billions and triggering food riots from Bangladesh to South Africa. Aid agencies say 100 million more people are at risk of starvation right now[1]. In Sierra Leone alone the price of a bag of rice has doubled, becoming unaffordable for 90% of citizens[2]. Fears of inflation stalk the whole world, and the worst could be yet to come.

We need to act now -- before it's too late. As Ban Ki-Moon holds a high-level UN meeting on the crisis, we're launching an urgent campaign with African foreign minister and human rights campaigner Zainab Bangura. Click below to see Zainab's video message and add your name to the food crisis petition -- we need to raise 200,000 signatures by the end of this week to deliver a massive global outcry to leaders at the UN, G8 and EU:

The prices of staple foods like wheat, corn and rice have almost doubled, and the crisis is slipping out of control -- so we're calling for immediate action on emergency food aid, speculation and biofuels policy, while asking forthcoming summits to tackle deeper problems of investment and trade.[3]

The global food crisis touches and connects us all, creating a tsunami of hunger for the poor and damaging economies and squeezing citizens in the rich world too. But solutions are on the horizon if leaders act fast [4] -- sign the petition at the link below now, then forward this email and ask friends and family to do the same:

With hope,

Paul, Galit, Ricken, Graziela, Iain, Mark, Pascal and the whole Avaaz team

1. BBC: "How to stop the global food crisis":

"The New Economics of Hunger", Washington Post, 27 April 2008

2. Zainab Bangura, Foreign Minister of Sierra Leone, video message to Avaaz members

3. Chinese news citing World Bank figures:

Reuters: "Rising food prices to top UN agenda"

4. See BBC article above, and "Rising Food Prices" by Alex Evans (Chatham House report)

UN scientific report on fixing the world food system:

The Guardian: "Credit crunch? The real crisis is global hunger", George Monbiot

ABOUT AVAAZ is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a global team based in London, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Paris, Washington DC, and Geneva.
  3. here2day

here2day Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will read over it and SHARE it.

I belive there is a crisis. I am one person, what can I do to make a difference? (I want to) I already grow much of what we eat. I recycle. I walk everywhere intown. I only use my car for out of town Doc appointments. I've decreased my home energy consumption also. I agree something needs to be done. I am in the process of writing my senator over this matter, but regretfully, the state I live in elected (I sure as heck didn't elect his sorry but, i voted differently) an offical that only cares about lining his pockets.

I totally agree with your statement about the fact until the people (americans in specific) that have always been used to having things suddenly don't have that electric when they flip the switch or can no longer afford their groceries (I'm one of the few that is already there. my husband worked in an industry that was directly affected by the housing market crash) then nothing will be done.

how many people must die before we make the major changes needed to save everyone? That, as an American, is an embarrassing question to ask. I just look at the crisis in Darfur and some of the other countries and know...and know that nothing will be done until it directly affects the fat cats.

why aren't more people outraged? i don't get it..
  4. Firstly, let me commend you on your own efforts! Few people indeed actually go that far (and some that do, in the smallest way, tend to pat themselves on the back for thinking themselves "Good Global Citizens" and be done with it - like that "earth hour" thing last month...

Ever heard of that "frog" analogy? (whether "urban legend", or not)

The story goes that if one places a frog in a pot of room-temperature water the frog will not jump out. Another frog, placed in HOT water, will immedately of course, try to escape. But in the first pot, even though the water is then heated in increments, the frog will become 'acclimatized' and still will not think of jumping out, even then. So it is that that the complacent creature will indeed boil to death... For by the time it realizes its predicament, it is far too late...

And the thing is...we won't be able to jump out of this pot, to anywhere else, when things finally become "too hot" (which indeed they already are)...

I hope the articles are interesting to you (and that you feel less "alone"). I, too, forward these letters from Avaaz to all the other frogs I know (whether they realize they're in hot water already, or not...) :sad:
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Thank you for bringing this world's largest challenge of our generation.

How self absorbed ,self centered poeple we are; caught here in the US about Wright & politics while our brothers & sisters are facing with death of starvation. I am guilty myself.

FAL, those are an opening our eyes articles & should be rubbed on oour faces. Especially here in the US. The last few weeks TV ,Youtube,are all focused on the non sense campaign bullshit.

Your thoughts that until the haves is switch to have nots ,we are stucked.
    These are the calling of our times, how can we turn tthese around? CNN,FoX,ABC,MSNBC NYTimes big time corporate media udderly could care less.

Little I do is stop running the faucet when I brush my teeth.
  6. Well...Avaaz (among many others NGO's, certainly) is trying to get a number of signatures before the UN about this (present) issue...and these were some of my comments to one of the site links...

"Given the diverse, complex, and all equally relevant factors causing this crisis, I can’t – in my heart of hearts - help but sadly wonder what can actually be and would be *willingly* achieved, especially by such organizations as the G8, as well as wealthy countries inside the UN who regularly thumb their noses at prospective solutions regarding so many issues. For instance, the diversion of food sources towards increasing biofuels leaves me aghast. Being alive when the first “Oil Crisis” was felt in the 70’s, I need not ‘digress’ regarding the abysmal lack of advancing practical solutions implemented since then, whilst all our other our technological advances have increased exponentially!! We in general, the smallest percentage who hold the greatest amount of wealth (and continue to aspire to more), will ever be recalcitrant no matter the issue, to change our ways unless there are immediate and/or foreseeable vast financial gains to be made! And that is the “bottom line” as the rest of the world suffers for it…

What is good for the goose that lays the golden egg is *not* good for the gander that must forever wallow in muck. The $tatu$ Quo will never be Quid Pro Quo…"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.