World's First Stalking Clinic Opens, Offers Treatment And Rehab For Stalkers

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am not sure if I like this idea, I am not sure if stalking should be "treated" rather then "punished" its intresting take to say the least though.

The world's first stalking clinic opened in London Thursday. The National Stalking Center will operate out of the Chase Farm Hospital in Enfield, North London and treat offenders, instead of punishing them, reports the Independent.

While stalkers normally face restraining orders or other legal consequences, courts in England and Wales can send offenders for assessment, treatment and rehabilitation, according to a report from the BBC.

Some experts believe the move will help prevent violent crime and reduce costs at a time when the U.K. is experiencing a rise in stalking behavior. According to government figures, one in five women and one in 10 men over 16-years-old are or have been stalking victims.

According to a study cited by the Independent, three in four women killed by their former partners had been stalked beforehand.

The clinic's launch takes place a month before National Stalkers Awareness Month in the U.S. where the behavior affects more than 3.4 million Americans.

At a domestic violence conference in September, law enforcement officials highlighted a recent study looking at the increasing use of technology in stalking cases.

The findings showed most victims are between the ages of 18 and 24, and that victims are increasingly being targeted either online or via cell phones.
  2. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I think everything should be treated.
    Punishment never really solves anything.

This is a good idea.
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Convincing someone your're right is more powerful than coercing them to suppress the urge.
  4. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

I think this is a more evolved way.

Punishment, here is usually going to prison with no treatment at all so they often end up worse, more violent, and with a greater knowledge of how to get awaay with it. Loss of freedom and being put in a clinic is punishment, but what do you do after they are locked up? I think we should try treat.
  5. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of criminal activity is indicative of mental illness, and as such, should be treated. It's difficult to separate what is the pathology of a mental problem and what is genuinely immoral behavior. But I think this new approach is worth a shot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.