worried about a friend

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Sarah, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah

Sarah SF Friend & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I dont really know what to say. im just getting really worried about a friend of mine. I used to have a roommate who is also one of my best friends. when she moved out she was unable to find an apartment where she could have pets. so i agreed to take care of her two cats.At first i gave her 30 days to find a home for them. she was unable to. then i told her i would take care of them for as long as i could. it is now one year later.

My landlord died two months ago and his brother has taken over the apartment building i live in. the new landlord has given me 30 days to get rid of her cats. i have two cats of my own and im also taking care of her two. so i have four cats living in an efficiency apartment.

It is also becoming dangerous for me to live where i do. my landlord doesnt think he is required to abide but the tenants rights law. he comes into my apartment whenever he wants to without any notice. there is mold and a fould smell in another apartment that caused the death of that tenants cats. there was also a situation where i agreed with my landlord that he could get rid of some things that my old roommate left on my porch when she moved if she didnt take them within a reasonable amount of time. not only did he not give any notice he came to take those things but i had a brand new bike chained up on my porch that he decided to throw away. luckily one of my neighbors took the bike and kept it for me untill i got home that night.

This situation is worrying in itself. however my friend has epilepsy which is causing her to have severe depression. when she had her cats around her depression was under control. as soon as she moved out her depression and epilepsy symptoms started getting worse. she has had to have her epilepsy meds increased significantly in strength. she doesnt have the seizures that cause shaking at least as far as i know. her seizure cause her to blank out and act in ways i cant really describe. her husband found her druing a seiure sitting up in bed rocking back and forth and talking to herself. she was completely unaware of her surroundings. of course she was taken to the hospital at that point and thats when she found out her depakote (seizure meds) levels where too low. she never had any of these problems when she had her cats living with her.

Recently she has begun to have suicidal thoughts and she is afraid that during one these seizures she will do something to harm herself. she is especially afraid because she has a medical background and is afraid she would use that knowledge.

I am even more worried because of the new landlord giving me 30 to get ride of her cats. if she is like this now what will happen if she doesnt have the cats at all!!!!

She is trying to get one of them registered as a service animal and if that doesnt work out she is still trying to find them another home. but what if none of that works? if she is this depressed now what will it be like if she doesnt have the cats at all?

I am also moving because of the situation with the landlord. i dont feel safe living here. but i can only find an apartment that will accept two cats. i still wont be able to take care of hers.

The other things that is weighing on me is that i have lived with her cats for two years. its they are mine too. i love them dearly and dont want anything to happen to them.

I just dont know what to do. i dont want anything to happen to my friend or her cats but i cant do anything about it. one person i talked to said " you cant save everybody" but anybody here who knows me knows how hard that would be for me to accept even if she where a stranger.

I am so worried that if something happens to these animals that she will do something to herself. i wont be able to live with myself if anything happens to her.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It sounds like she could really benefit from a service animal. I've heard that they can help people who have seizures by alerting them before the seizure actually happens. So I hope that's something that works out for her.

I really wish I had some suggestions on what you could do about her cats. I can't think of any right now, but if I do, I'll reply again.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

What country are you in?
  4. Sarah

Sarah SF Friend & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

im in the u.s.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.