worried about my brother

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by whyaminotperfect, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whyaminotperfect

whyaminotperfect New Member

My brother is on suicideforum as well and I came accross some of his posts and I an so worried about him! He feels lonely and useless when I care about him so much! I don't know what to do I cant let him feel like this he is my big brother and I cant be in this world without him.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun i hope you can talk to your parents let them know how worried you are about brother and why Let them get your bro the help he needs to get rid of these thoughts hugs to you
  3. whyaminotperfect

But I don't want to invade on his privacy because I know that he feels safe on here and I want him to have that. He means the world to me and I really have no clue what to do. I can't talk to him or I don't know. He showed me the sight when he found out I cut but I don't want him to think that he isnt safe to post what he wants on here i'm scared for him.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I know you are scared hun if is so hard to see ones we care about suffer. If you talk to your parents and they get him help then his suffering will be less. He will get the help he needs to get well. If you think he is in immediate danger you need to tell someone okay rather safe then sorry . Hugs
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Would you trust his answer if you asked "Are you OK today, do you have plans?" or something? It varies person to person of course, but I think you could try asking him if things are OK and the like without making him feel too exposed or lacking in privacy if you can respect when he states he doesn't really want to talk about something.

Of course it's difficult in this situation because you don't want to accuse him of lying to you and pushing him away, but you want to be a bit paranoid about it because it's all too easy for it to go wrong.

I don't think there's an easy answer here. You know your brother better than anybody here, and as a family member that cares for him you're better equipped to decide what support your brother might need. Do your best; it's all that can be asked.
  6. station

station Member

as for what you personally can do, my two thoughts would be:
    1) try not to suddenly treat him like he is a different person. often, people in this state of mind are hesitant to seek the help they need because they are worried they will go from receiving no attention, to receiving too much attention (feeling babied). this can actually be very isolating, even if the intentions are good.
    2) you can't force someone into a serious conversation when they're not ready for it, so give him plenty of opportunities to talk about what is on his mind, but don't be blunt about the troubles he is having. just have generic conversations, and add in open, indirect questions which allow him to either to brush them off superficially, or share something personal, in this way he is in full control of the conversation. it might take a while for him to build up trust/comfort, but in the long run it will be beneficial to both him, being able to get things off his chest in a safe environment, as well as to your relationship.
  7. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

hello little sister. I'm fine dont worry about me I'm feeling much better lately. You work on helping yourself, dont worry about me.

This explains why you were walking around and being rather loud at the obscenely late/early hours in the night/morning. try and be a little quieter next time you go romping around the house at 1 AM :p
  8. whyaminotperfect

actually i was getting food. i was hungry :p
  9. b-rock

b-rock Well-Known Member

find comfort in family. cliche but true blood is thicker than water. personally I NEVER hung out with my sister. not once. she would ask me to do things sometimes and I would say no most of the time, which is one of my biggest regrets. Hang out with each other if you don't. good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.