Worried about people finding out you come here & how it will affect them?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by WhyMeWhy, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

So my beloved "mother" knows about SF now. She said something along the lines of:

"I don't want you on that suicide site. :nono: It's not good for you!"

Luckily she doesn't know how often I show up here, much less what I post. I guess she's worried then. Like I would ever commit suicide over what is said on the forum..... I'm not totally unstable like that-though sometimes I wonder....

Anyway, does anybody worry about people you know and the way they'd react to SF? Do you have to keep it a secret or something? I mean in cases of POS monitoring your pc access how do you even get away with coming here? I must never allow my brother or father to know. It would only alarm them.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

NO ONE (family/ mates) can ever know I come on here! god no :(

so yeah I do keep it private. I'm the one who uses this comp mostly anyway. And when ppl walk in, I just close the window..It's so annoying how it has "suicide forum" at the top of the page and the tap :rolleyes: hehe

but yeh hope I answered your question...
  3. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's an answer. I only wonder because of the age difference in members. When I was a teen, if there had been a place like this and I was caught, I would've imediately been thrown into an "inpatient Help program", or whatever. Like I haven't seen enough of those in my lifetime already...
  4. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

My cousin found out... She found my account without my telling her who I was. She was upset. I mentioned the forum when I was really desperate. I didn't expect her to really find me out of all these people. I love her so much, and I hope she's not mad at me because of all this crap she has to deal with from me.

Sometimes my mom walks in, and I minimize the window, but the tab says, "Suicide Forum." She might have seen it; I don't know. If I ever mention help I got here, I just call it a depression forum.
  5. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

i hate that Tab at the bottom... votes to get it changed to something less overt!!! i use it mostly at work so i always have to minimise any time somone walks by but somtimes people hover over my desk, it creeps me out! dont know what they think because no one mentions anything. :unsure:

i kept it secret form my bf, didnt know how he would react but i eventually told him and hes okay w/ it. i explained it was a support forum for all problems not just suicide, so hes glad coz he doesnt know what to do to help me.

i have told my mom about it but only so she could pass on the info to my brother, maybe it would be helpful to him. i dont think she knows i use it tho.

i guess i wouldnt really want anyone i know to know i use it, i always put on a face for everyone so that would just destroy my charade.
  6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

If you wanna hide SF and have firefox then install this add on and you can easily get rid on the tabs :smile:

once installed, while in firefox click Tools and then pte and then hide all.
  7. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Thanks hun!

Works a treat <3

I think my mum would lose it if she saw me on here. I reckon my bro saw me once, but he hasn't said anything so..here's hoping, eh?
  8. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I figure if they find out truly why I am here, bc they think i just come to help they'd actually open their eyes and see that things are not okay. It might be a miracle
  9. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I really don't want my family to know, but I don't care if my friends find out.
  10. kath

kath Well-Known Member

i would never tell my parents or family [it wouldnt be good for either of us.]i only ever told one person......someone i thought was helping me....that was so hard for me......but i guess it was a pretty major mistake.i wouldnt want anyone to know now.
  11. npain42long

npain42long Active Member

i finally told my husband and a friend. they were a little shocked at first. but i told them it helps me to talk out some of the things i cannot tell them. especially when i am really down and out and i do not want to stress them out with how i am feeling. talking to and reading others posts has helped me so much. i feel like i can hold on when i come here. it gives me hope.
  12. Sashi0

Sashi0 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread but I really wanted to add to this...

My boyfriend found me on this site, because of the damn Tabs and that I had to run to feed my dog while my comp was on. He laughed at me... literally laughed and said "You are trying to make friends on this now??" Oh god I tried so hard to hold back my anger, I almost broke the laptop. :sad: He knows about my depression, and of my suicide attempt a long time ago and he honestly doesn't care. I think I'm lucky someone still wants me with the problems I have, but sometimes I wish he cared and tried to help me not make it worse...

With my family, I wouldn't want anyone to know, depression and suicide runs in my family... so they just hate the topic. They think it's an attention seeking thing so they find it to be ignorant. They can't know or it'll just add fuel to their dislike of me and disappointment's of me.
  13. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Go into property of your browser and cancel the cronology so it wont show that you come here, ALSO cancel the cronology (look on top of your page, there are icons, beside the 'search' and beforethe 'envelop-mail'' click on it and it will appear all sites visited daily... dont forget to cancel day by day the site or altogether each day, weeks etc... lol

Just thought you'd like this hint....... me don't cancel and shows on top list of what i do but none bothers to come or look into.... and its automatically logged so beats me how curious they are here :tongue:

Dont care lol
  14. Robin

Robin Guest

If you search the net for thewonderfulicon you will find a proggy that with one key press can hide 1 window or all of them, it's pretty handy, also, if you use firefox, you can tell it to clear your privacy data like cache, history, login passwords etc with a couple of clicks, handy if you share a computer. Never tried Vikki's solution but glad it works for those that tried it :)
  15. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

If some of my old friends could see the things I've said on here, I wouldn't be concerned about them being upset. They'd be more likely to laugh, and I'd probably be quite embarrassed actually. :-o
  16. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

My kids know I come here, but not the capacity for which I belong. They think I am only here as a support person. I can't risk them knowing the real reasons.
  17. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

my daughter knows i come here but she doesn't say anything about it. hmmmm
  18. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

If my family ever found out I come here, they would probably lock me away forever. :dry:
  19. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

No I couldn't care less around my family. Last year I was openly on here and mental health forums at home as I was desperate. I had to delete certain threads here because they gave out too much information but when you're desperate for help for a family member and things are explosive and falling apart left/right/centre at home you couldn't care less
  20. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The only people important in my life are my children and we are very open about everything. They know I come here, apparently my oldest knew all along. But I don't let them read anything. Sometimes I wish the people that call themselves myfriends would find me out and see just how real my pain is. They certainly don't listen when I try to tell them. And SF has helped me and allowed me to feel like I belong somewhere. So no, I wouldn't care if I was found out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.