worried about therapist...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by austinhp78, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austinhp78

austinhp78 Well-Known Member

well i just got an appointment with a therapist on this wednesday and to be honest i'm kind of scared.
    i have a hard time telling people my feelings in the first case so this is kind of frightening in that element. in one sense i'm looking forward to it because maybe it'll help some and what i really need is to have someone to talk to but at the same time i'm kind of scared cause i'm unsure of what it will be like.
    i've never met him before and this'll be my first time meeting him. also i dont really know what i should talk about because i find it hard to talk about my depression and such but i suppose i could talk to him about the reasons for it?
    i guess i'm just kind of confused.
  2. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Theyre usually pretty good at asking directed questions, guiding you toward where they want you to go.

The first time I talked with my therapist, I simply told her I didn't feel much like living any more. In later sessions, my own reasoning of why I felt that way followed, and then she gave her own perspective on why.

I was apprehensive about talking to mine, too. Even months later, though, our conversations are still peppered by periods of silence while I stare at the floor.
  3. You'll do just fine Austin - it's not a 'test'. You're taking a brave step that not all who have 'problems' pursue. You may even find yourself feeling more at ease once things progress (if not the first meeting, perhaps onward, as it is a process). And expressing yourself is also something not many know how to do. There were times when looking at my "demons" even with someone I was comfortable and familliar with, that I fell short of words. But they 'understood' - it's part of what they provided for me...

It's hard to go into this without "expectations" (from them, or from yourself), but everything does, and always will, happen one moment at time...

Pat yourself on the back for going, whether you think it's just a "little thing" or a big thing...

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You dont have to be "prepared"... It will be easy... Most importnat thing is that you try to relax as much as possible:)

good luck:hug:
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

good luck tomorrow.

6. austinhp78

i'm kind of looking forward to it i just have to focus on the good things that could come out of it.
    i just have to go in open minded.
  7. austinhp78

ha! a half hour before i go to the therapist and i'm cutting my leg up!

8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

As has been said Austin - try and focus on the good things that could come out of it :)
    Hope things go well for you - keep us updated :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.