Worsening Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, I drank for several months. This kept the panic attacks at bay, as long as I kept drinking, but every day my tolerance for panic lessened, meaning I needed to drink more. So, that didn't work. Now I'm off the alcohol hopefully permanently... and the panic attacks are very active. I've had 3 or 4 this week... I increased my medication dosage [on the advice of a prior psychiatrist] to the maximum allowed... but they're still happening. I don't know what to do. Anyone have any advice?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Another one coming on, and the liquor store down the road is open.

3. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I am currently having cbt to at least tame my panic attacks. Maybe this is an option you could look into?

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Don't be tempted by the alcohol my friend! You've come so far and done a fantastic (and I imagine difficult) job to get out of that equally bad condition. You can hang in there!

Have you tried any hobbies or activities you usually enjoy to calm you down? If not, maybe Leiaha's suggesstion is worth a shot! Talk to your medical professional who perscribed it.

Good luck and don't lose hope! If you get an urge just come to us!

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I was in therapy a couple times. I ran out of sessions with the first [covered by the university health services], and didn't click at all with the second... The second was also the psychiatrist I was seeing, and I got awkward and just fled the whole thing, so I have no access to a psychiatrist. I am just seeing a GP at this point for medication, but in June I will have access again to a psychiatrist, but I'm very concerned about this, given how difficult the second was.

I'm still not drinking. I successfully prepared for my test [I don't know how well I did]... But I still don't seem to have anything to live for. My last panic attack was Tuesday, the exam was Saturday, so I don't actually know what this means for the future. I didn't have time for a panic attack in the meantime.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Update.

Got results for exam back much, much earlier than expected... and I'm in. Just have to deal with an interview and then I'm home free. Or dead, I suppose. Still panic attacks of varying intensity. I have Ativan to take for them, now, but it seems to be another Band-Aid. Receiving "good" news on the school is actually one of the more frustrating events of late, complicating my life immensely. No job, still. Lonely, still. I don't really want to live for a career if I'm going to feel like shit all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.