worth going to the doctors?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Wishful_thinking, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishful_thinking

Wishful_thinking New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if i need to go to the doctors and what would happen?

Basically i think i'm suffering from depression. It runs in my family so it i'm not really surprised. I'm 19 and am in my second year of university. I started to get depressed around may time, when i was revising for exams. I started to think about suicide and how it would be easier than getting up every morning and living life. Anyway, i finished my exams (passed wth a distinction) and went home for the summer. I started to feel worse and it apparently became noticeble as my mum kept asking if i was depressed. I said no and that i was fine.

I started university again a month ago and i've got considerably worse. I basically sleep all day, i don't go to lectures, i hardly go out of my flat as i dont want to see/talk to anyone, i hardly eat because i haven't been shopping, i have no motivation to do anything, and suicide is the foremost topic on my mind. I don't think i actually would commit suicide for various reasons, but i do want to. I have exams in december which i will fail unless i sort myself out.

Long story short, would the doctors take me seriously if i went and told them this, and what would happen? I don't like talking about my emotions etc. to people so i don't want to go to the doctors if they're likely to b unhelpful

thanks for reading,

Wishful_thinking

2. ckeaweahe

ckeaweahe Active Member

I feel the same. Im 19 too. I can never talk to anyone RL bout problems, probably just stubborn. Im embarrassed to go to the doctors, even though that's what everyone one the forums wants you to do. I just feel like im making an excuse if I have to go to the doctors. I will never resort to theapy or counseling.
    Im never happy, but im in a wishful mood right now. Is there anyway to get rid of these feelings like, w out doctors and medication? They're so twisted, I can't even explain them.
    Let me know if anything works for you.

3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're so depressed...
    I recommend getting to a doctor as soon as possible..
    if you don't feel like you can tell him how you really feel how about writing it down and giving him the letter?
    life doesn't need to be so sad for you so please go get help...
    therapy is good..
    and since your Mum already has her suspicions why not tell her the truth so she can help you through this too..she would want to help you..
    stay strong ok...

4. Wishful_thinking

Wishful_thinking New Member

If i went to the doctors and got diagnosed with depression, would it affect future job oppurtunities? or would noone find out, except the doctor?

5. ckeaweahe

ckeaweahe Active Member

I dont think they can do that. It doesnt sound right. Let me know if you try it out, and go to the doctors. Im tired of this everyday. Id much rather look for a way, than a way out. Maybe i dont have to go to the doctors, but i need a clue or something.

Also, getting treated for depression wouldnt affect your chances at getting a job... Maybe showing up to work depressed, and hinting signs that you might hurt yourself on the job would.. The doctors have no reason to share that info to anyone though.

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The most important things is that you get the appropriate treatment regardless of the dx...noone will know, noone will discriminate against you, especially if the treatment helps you live a more effective life...so glad you decided to get the care you need...big hugs, J

7. weeble

weeble Active Member

Hi, I would definatly go see the Dr. There will be help aswell through the university, counselling and crisis team and should be able to access these through personal tutor or directly. I phoned up for a counselling appointment at my uni and was seen the next day so they are very good.

8. Obnoxiously_Pretentious

Obnoxiously_Pretentious Active Member

Well, I can't demand that you go out and seek professional help because that would make me a hypocrite. I haven't talked to anyone about my depression and suicidal thoughts either. An offical diagnosis and what it may imply scares me. My parents forced me to see a therapist, ironically before I got really bad, but I only went 3 times and never opened up to her. She struck me as very cold. She seemed bored and had little interest in me.

I was just complaining on another topic about how subjective clinical depression really is. There is no black or white; it's all grey areas. Really only you know whether you need or want to get help. Just promise to always keep your loved one's in the back of your head and how they would feel to you killing youself. A suicide doesn't only effect/hurt you. It effects everyone involved in your life so their feelings should be taken into as much account as your own.

As for consequences of coming out with it: I don't know? As I said before, I never admitted this to anyone in my life. I'll keep an eye on this topic because I'm also a bit curious. What would it mean to be diagnosed as clincally depressed? What would it mean to admit that you've been thinking of suicide a lot lately? What would it mean to survive a suicide attempt?

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Wishful Thinking, you won't even be diagnosed as depressed. Most people with mental illness are not formally diagnosed at all. They're much more interested in treating the symptoms than putting a name to it.

The only time I can really imagine diagnosis being important is with bipolar disorder vs depression, because they have similar symptoms but very different treatments - but again, they don't do it formally and just treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.