Worthless

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by bec1216, Jun 9, 2016.

1. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

Does anyone else out there ever feel worthless? Like if you were gone tomorrow it wouldn't significantly impact anyone's life? Sometimes I feel like I'm not going anywhere in life. I also feel invisible, like no one truly sees me or understands me.

Please respond if you can relate, it would be nice to know I'm not the only one.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, I feel like that most of the time, like I've made no impact on the world. I am sorry you feel this way. I know how hard it can be to cope with. A lot of people here will understand what you are going through, so hopefully you won't feel as alone.

3. JJRiggers

JJRiggers Member

I feel the same all the time, like nothing I do or say matters to anyone.
    It's not a fun feeling to through, but hey at least you know you aren't alone!

4. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Bec, I feel worthless daily yet still manage to try and find some good. I understand the feeling that you don't feel you are going anywhere in life. You are young and will find your way. I still have the feeling and I am old. Try not to dwell on it, as I said you are young and things will work out for you.
    I can relate to thinking that I would not be missed if I left this existence, it is tough to have those feelings.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are NOT the only one. I can relate a lot to how you are feeling. I hope tings improve and in the meantime we are here for you, how are you feeling today? :) do you have a counsellor? if not, i'd highly recommend it.

6. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

thank you! I actually had a good day today, for the first time in a while! No, I do not have a counsellor, I had one before and found out therapy just wasn't for me.

7. Asdlax

Asdlax INFJ 1w2

Wow you said it all. I'm so done with shallow relationships. That's why I cut down my connections and only keep the worthy ones. Here I am, down with one friend only.. over the internet at that. Quality over quantity. My depression and introverted nature don't support otherwise anyway.

And yes I know what you're talking about. I feel that way everyday. Life feels meaningless when you feel so alone, alienated and not understood.

Seriously, if I die there's not a single person who will cry over my absence. Not a single one. My abusive mother may cry fake tears but really that's just to save her own public face. I hate to imagine how people will throw words of sympathy to my parents if I'm gone. Because they don't know that they're comforting the basic reason I started having suicidal thoughts. Those worries are behind me though. Despite yearning for my own nonexistence, I don't think suicide is an option anymore. But that makes living no less painful.

I wish... at least I mean the world to the person who means everything to me. But haha this is life we're talking about, when is it ever fair.

Feels like I just turned this thread grey. Sorry about that.

8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Bec, I certainly feel worthless at times. Many times. But after dealing with it for years I have come to believe that the cause is often unrealistic expectations of ourselves. Very few people can be an Einstein, a doctor, a star ball player, a billionaire, or any of these other folks so many of us seem to worship. Most of us are lucky if we can find a decent job, a person to share our life with and a home to live in. It is important to be gentler on ourselves and be realistic about our expectations.

Striking likes this.
  9. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

Lots of us struggle with self doubt and feelings of worthlessness. If you like dogs or the elderly, volunteer, it can help alleviate some of those emotions.

The real question is, what are you doing that matters to you? Its tough to make an impact on other people when our decisions do not put us in a position to do so. But your decisions will always impact you.

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I suppose one size does not fit all, what kid of therapy did you try? There are so many different therapies out there now that you might benefit from another type.

11. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

Thanks fo=
    They were just one-on-one sessions with a counselor.

12. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

Like you said, quality over quantity. I have definitely learned that having one or two solid relationships is better than a bunch of meaningless ones. I'm so sorry your relationship with your parents is bad, but it makes me happy to hear that you are no longer contemplating suicide. I have considered suicide many times, but am glad that I stayed strong.

13. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

That's true! I've actually been looking into volunteer opportunities lately so hopefully that will help :)

14. bec1216

bec1216 Active Member

You're right. I think sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to be perfect. Thanks for the advice :)

15. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Yes, I agree. Doing something for a cause that matters to you will make you feel worthwhile.

16. Artemis88

Artemis88 Member

I'm living with someone I love and yet I feel like I am constantly a disappointment. I'm currently unemployed and have gone for several interviews and while it seems I've been close I'm not there yet. It's putting a huge strain on us financially though and my partner had to stop his hobby because the money he spent weekly, was money that could be spent on food. I've always been told that I should not try to aim high as I won't get there. Try and be realistic about what I could achieve. This had meant that I constantly doubt my abilities and when I try and talk myself up it sounds big headed and I have alienated myself a few times.

I struggle with self harm and suicidal thoughts, especially when someone tells me I have done something wrong or haven't done something they wanted me to do. I have a mantra that sticks in a loop in my head: you're stupid, you're fat and you're worthless. Nobody would miss you. It would be a relief if you were gone. It's at these times I have to really fight not to self harm and my thoughts scare me most. Self harm often seems like the only option though to try and calm down and feel empty rather than in pain. I realised I was punishing myself. That if I do something wrong and disappoint someone, I feel that's what I should be doing.

Sorry for waffling on. It's been bad tonight and I needed to vent a little. But yeah, feeling worthless is nothing new to me.

17. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Kimberly, I totally understand about the job search. I have been laid off so many times I have lost count. Once it took me almost a full year to find a new job. But persistence does pay off. Keep at the search and you will find something.

Unknown_111 likes this.