Would you be scared?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Random, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Would you be scared if you thought you had lung cancer?

Before you answer, don't think of it as a hypothetical. What if you got up one morning and coughed up blood after having been a smoker for many years? Would you be frightened? Imagine that this is real.

Also, before you answer, realize that lung cancer is not a quick and painless way to go. It's probably (typically) one of the worst ways to go imaginable. Even if you want and have access to the best treatment available the prognosis is generally quite grim and if it fails, you will probably suffer greatly before you go.

Edit - I apologize if this post is a little morbid/disturbing. I tried to word it in the least disturbing way I could think of.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

On a day like today, I'd welcome the pain.
  3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

yes i would, very much so
  4. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

After thirty years of smoking, this last January we thought I had a pumonary embolism in my lungs. It scared the hell out of me, even being suicidally idealistic for my entire life. I quit smoking then and there. I have a slight feeling that despite what many people may think, finding out anything like that would be a shock, and would scare them.

On the positive side, they decided that it was a false positive. And I still am not smoking.
  5. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Good for you.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm very glad to hear it was a false alarm. I'm sorry you had such a scare. It's something nobody should ever have to even contemplate. But I'm glad at least you quit smoking because of it. I know how tough it is to quit. We all hope we quit soon enough. I feel so damn stupid for not quitting years ago for good.
  7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Terrified. I have an immense fear of death.

Congrats to you Moon. :)
  8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Funny enough, I'm not afraid of death (I'm certain enough that there's nothing after you die that I don't fear being dead). I fear the process of dying and the anticipation of the last moments.

Obviously, a process as unpleasant as the one involved with dying of something like lung cancer is what I fear the most. Every day waking up worse and knowing the worst is yet to come. And obviously, the pain and the horror of actually watching your body destroy itself.
  9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

True. I would imagine dying suddenly would have no bearing on me considering I wouldn't even know it - though I suppose that not being as sure of it as you helps to make it much scarier as it is than it should be.

But yes, the process of deterioation and impending doom certainly is more frightful.
  10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply that I'm certain that I have lung cancer. I'm not. I did cough blood a few days ago and it did scare me but I had a lung infection for a couple of weeks so it could have been just part of that. I'm afraid to go to the doctor to find out for sure. I keep hoping it goes away. I know that if it is, I don't have the resources (financial or mental) to fight it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.