Would you consider this self-harm?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by worlds edge, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I've never cut, like everyone else who posts here seems to, but I've beaten on myself with a hard rubber mallet. This is what I use, it looks exactly like this:

I've found that if I hit myself on the "fat" part of the thigh I do no lasting damage, though it will turn black and blue sometimes. And a couple of times I was in such agony afterwards that I threw up. And of course I'll limp about for a day or two after most sessions.

It really, really hurts, too. There's absolutely nothing pleasant or addictive about it. I also have built up no tolerance for the pain inflicted over time, the way some do with cutting, or so it seems to me. It hurts as much now as it did the first time I did it.

I generally do this to myself when I've set goals that I've failed to meet. Gives me quite an incentive to stay on target.

I take it for granted that 99% of my intellectual and emotional makeup is utterly worthless, but that goes a bit beyond the scope of this post, other than to note that I consider that when I do this I'm utilizing the 1% or so of my makeup that may actually be capable of doing something worthwhile. And my conduct of late is such that I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've not gone this route for about a year now, and I'm seriously considering starting up again, this time quite rigorously.

I honestly don't enjoy it or look forward to it, but I figure it may give me the kick in the ass I need. Thoughts? Comments?
  2. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Self-Harm can be anythign that inflicts pain willfully to distract you. That's what I've found.

I'd say yeah, it is Self-Harm. Alot of people tend to ask waht SH is and isn't. But it's basically this, if you're doing it, to take away the emotional pain, or block it out, or simply to punish yourself then yeah. It's nott casual, you do it because there's something inside that tells you to. It's not really something you're not unconscious of.

Or atleast that's what I ahve found.

Hope this helped, my friend.
  3. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Yes that's self harm. I use to hit myself when I was trying to adviod cutting.
  4. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Though I guess I'm naive, I repeatedly punched the wall over a week ago and it still hurts to form a full fist.

Instead of negative deterrents, how about positive incentives? Reward yourself for completing a task. What's that retarded proverb? "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar?"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.