Would You Consider This SH?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by FlashingFlickering, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashingFlickering

FlashingFlickering Well-Known Member

So, this is stupid. But I often do something when I can't/don't want to cut.
    I let my laptop charger get as hot as possible, I put it under my thigh, and just continue using my laptop on my lap like normal. I'm doing it right now, actually :/
    It does hurt quite a bit, and for a long time. Once I remove the charger (usually it cools down eventually), there is a nice large red spot on the bottom of my thigh. It usually goes away after a few hours, though. It stings to the touch while it's there, though and feels very hot.

Do you think this is just me being stupid, or yet another form of self harm?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hmmm. It hurts, it leaves a mark, and you're doing it "instead of" other more obvious SHing behavior. It's not "constructive" - doesn't help you or resolve the reason you wan to do it. Yeah, I would think of it as a form of SH. But that's just my "opinion" - but I'm not a doc or therapist.

Is there anything else you could do that would not "hurt" you in any way? Write a journal entry, a poem, a story? Draw a picture? Scrub the floors? Have a relaxing bath or shower?

I hope you can contain the urges to hurt yourself. :hug: Will be thinking of you.

3. FlashingFlickering

FlashingFlickering Well-Known Member

I've tried doing a lot of other things. They usually distract me for a little while, but at the end of the night, urges to self harm always worsen. Sometimes I can ignore it for hours, days even, sometimes a few weeks but I always end up giving in when it gets to be too much.

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Aww. I'm sorry to hear it's been a necessary mechanism for you. The longer you can go without SH, the further away you will eventually get from the desire to do it. It takes time, and most everyone I've heard of, has a slip or two before they are really done with it.

You can always vent to me in PM if things start to overwhelm you and venting will help you to not SH. :hug:

5. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I would consider this self harm. I relapsed a few times when I ws trying to stop from SH. What really helped me get through it was listening to music. It really helps to distract your mind, and push the thoughts out of your head. The songs that reflect your mood work the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.