Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wheresmysheep, Jan 31, 2009.

Would you help?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
  2. No

13 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Knowing how it feels to want to die; if someone you knew were in the same position and wanted help to go, would you help them to free them from their pain?the help could be anything from just holding their hand to something more
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I tried. I'm on moderation now :p

Yes, I would help. I don't think there's anything ultimately worth living for... if someone felt the same I would help them as best I can. Most likely methods - efficiency and optimization are kinda my thing, but certainly I'd help with emotional support through it.

I can't vote.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I would say no but I don't see how you can ask such a question without considering the individual circumstances of each case. I know someone who attempted frequently a couple of years ago, and things are beginning to work out for him now. For someone else I knew things were just so bad that in a sense I was relieved when she finally did go. There's just no connection between the two cases.
  4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

No way.
  5. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

No. Suicide is an act one must do on one's own.
  6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Kind of an odd thread to be started by a "site buddy," don't you think? I thought you only could earn that tag by swallowing the pro-life blue pill that is the site's philosophy.

I voted "no," but I think I need to point out one possible exception: In the case of terminal illness, especially when accompanied by agonizing pain, I just might make an exception. Other than that I can think of no circumstances where I could approve of this kind of thing. It simply smacks too much of playing at being god.

If someone's mind is made up to commit suicide, they shouldn't need my help to somehow enable them to do it. And if they like or respect me to any degree at all, they shouldn't put me in the position where I'm requested to act as an enabler.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong, as I have no deep philosophical opposition to suicide as a thing in itself. In some circumstances I oppose it, in others I probably support it. But I do think that it is wrong for someone considering suicide to burden anyone with requests for assistance in committing the act, or for someone to actually offer such assistance if it is requested.

And even then I'm ambivalent about the medical circumstances I previously described. (e.g. the person suffering and in pain from physical causes is also physically incapable of action.)
  8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

blue pill? I didn't get any blue pills. this could explain a lot.
  9. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

thoughtul question. .. .sheep! : )

now - seriously. could not do it to someone. (murder?) but.... if someone were dying of a terminal (that is redundant) illness. . . . it would make no sense to be un-supportive - my opinion only. but - i would not do it. i would understand that they were choosing it - and i would stay right by them - no one, should ever, ever, die alone. . .

but. my instinct is to reach out to any broken heart and try to soothe it. . . . not to crush it out. terminal illness....that's my break point.
  10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Wednesday on the bus I ran into a painter who had just been laid off after 15 years of work. He volunteered that he wanted to kill himself. I spent the time on the bus trying to convince him to seek help. He eventually got off the bus after saying he'd call someone. I don't know what happened to him though :(

When I'm suicidal I can't think straight. I have no more illusions to a philosophical cause for self-murder. I know that when I feel that way, it's best to put on a face and move on with the day. I would never help somebody end their life. Though ironically enough, I often fantasize about getting someone to kill me - - it would be more of a death by cop scenario though.

*take a breathe*
    Put on the face,
    Go through your day.
  11. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

Id say maybe....... it depends on the person. I mean, basically ur talking about euthanasia which has been debated quite heavely.

For me, depend on the person, their situation, and my relationship with them. I mean, if i barely know em, id moreso help em out. Well, i would with anyone, even close ppl. I would try to help everyone out as much as i possibly could. Only when i concluded there may not be a way for them to improve, or if they have some illness they are in physical pain every day, would i help.
  12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No way. Depression can always be cured.
  13. Wozza78

Wozza78 Well-Known Member

I would definately try to help. For selfish and unselfish reasons. If Im helping someone else deal, Im not facing my own problems, but at the same time by helping someone else it gives me a temporary sense of purpose. I also can't stand to think of anyone else feeling as helpless as me, and would do anything to belay those feelings.
  14. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

You seem so cheerful when you say this...

Dealth does not help any one, It might get the person in question away from their own pain and suffering,

but think of the person who has to find them, the people who love and care for them, think how they will feel.

Suicide is never the right way to go
  15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's why.
  16. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I'm really not sure this thread is appropriate for Sf and am going to close it while we discuss it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.