Would you encourage, support or have an passive attitude towards suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Frank Smith, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

If someone on this forum, or someone came up to me and said they wanted to commit suicide, I would have gone on this lecture about how there life could get better and all they have to do is give it a chance etc etc etc.

But from my own experience I now realise that it is really down to how you personally feel. I have my own room, HDTV, video games, SKY and so on. I am in univeristy, have a few good friends (though none who would ask me out somewhere) and have a stable house hold. On the face of it you would think I am someone who has something going for him and who does not have the problems a typicl suicidal person would have, which is true.

However, I am simply bored with my life and would happily jump of a tall building if I happend to find myself on top of one. Now, if someone came to me I said they wanted to commit suicide, I would not encourage them, but I deffiently would sympathise with them.

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Nope!!!

3. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

It depends - I'm a firm believer that there are, in rare instances, suicides that are carried out rationally.

I wouldn't lecture or dismiss ANYONE though, regardless of circumstance - I would ask why... And try to get their story.

4. jam1e

jam1e Guest

It's your right to chose.

As long as all angles have been thought out rationally then so be it:smile:

5. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

no comment.

6. anonymouse

anonymouse Active Member

You can't really help a suicidal person unless you sympathize. As long as you dont empathize.

I dont encourage or support. But I am passive, unless it's for a really stupid reason.

7. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I always sympathize. I understand how they feel and i know what it feels like to be in that situation of thinking death is the only way out. But i would try to encourage them to seek other help and not go down this road.

8. hellwithhugewounds

hellwithhugewounds Well-Known Member

Don't be so confident. I find buildings to be the ONLY WAY possible to end my life and I still can't do it. Stupid fear:dry:

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I always tell people not to do it, because I'm against suicide. Life is meant to be lived and you have to work through your problems.

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No,never.

11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I could never encourage someone to end their life. I can understand why they feel as they do, but encourage an end, no.

12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Everyone, or just about everyone on this site can sympathize with those who want to kill themselves. That's why I came here originally, why I still come here, and why I'll probably still come here should the desire to die ever leave me.

:sf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.