would you hire a male nanny to look after your children?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by emily83, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

saw this on the news this morning

apparently someone in england hired a male nanny to look after their children

what do you all feel about this?. and would you do it yourself?. why or why not?

i can't really say anything on the subject, as i never want kids... never been something i showed any interest in- i've a lot of problems of my own i wouldn't put kids through.

but seeing as i started this thread, i guess i should give an opinion..

i guess it's not really about the gender, it's about how well they are treated.

your thoughts?
  2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

you answered it yourself, not about gender, its about the care they receive.
    It bugs me that when men care about children they are viewed with suspicion, the last time i was on a bus there was a child, pulling faces at me so i started pulling faces back and we started having a little giggle, the childs mother looked at me in disgust and muttered "weirdo" and forced her child to face the front.
    Its ridiculous
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Decades ago, I worked at a daycare center, and we had one male daycare worker out of 10 staff. He was WONDERFUL! I think when parents put their kids in the care of a nanny or daycare, they must research the person and/or daycare center and decide if they trust them. Then observe and listen to what their kids say about the caregivers. The question is not male vs. female, but more about making sure the care is good.
  4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

People are people - research who beforehand is what should ideally be done.

Either way - men and women should not be discriminated against for a role that is understood to be more for one than the other (like male nannies or female builders/electricians etc).

And in answer to the question, I don't see why I wouldn't.
  5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I have three children and being a mother, I wouldn't want to get a nanny of either gender. Children grow up so quickly. I wouldn't want to miss it for the world. Every day is an adventure. :)
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't particularly like the idea of Nannies, but that's obviously personal choice :D If I had children and for some reason needed to have a Nanny it would defiantly depend on how I felt about the person after meeting them. Naturally I would feel more comfortable with a female for many reasons. But being an actually Nanny means you have a affinity for children and all things child like. So a male would in theory be just as trained and capable as a female. So in the end it would depend on the person.
  7. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Men can't raise children, they're too busy hunting for wild game and building fires, fighting off the predators of the night....oh wait...this isn't the stone age

The new age shows that both men and women are capable of doing the same job (within reason, men can't give birth, etc.) but social stigma tends to effect judgment on certain points, there are still those who poke at the idea of male nurses when I've known several who do their jobs very well and the fact is the nursing field is growing, for men and women and we need both to fill positions and help the ill, the elderly and the dying.

I don't believe that any gender should be kept from doing a job, if they can do it well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.