Would you lie about your illness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

What if you were or have been taken to the mental ward by force, would you or have you lied about your true condition? Or would you allow the hospital to do everything they can to help you?

Speaking from experience, when i got forced to the hospital, i got dumb and told them everything. Meaning my suicidal thoughts, taking drugs, sex with hooker, and even got pissed and threatened the nurse and the doctor... Not a smart thing to do... lol cause they kept me much longer than the 72hours required.

If i was in such situation again, i would've lied big time. Denying everything.

I was so glad for one thing though! They didn't take my laptop and check inside! I was so under the shock that i didn't even turn my laptop off when the cops came to get scrawny ass. Next day i called and told my sister to turn my laptop off. phew! Now i delete my cookies and history. I also store my erm... methods files in my micro SD memory card. In case i get caught again i would just swallow the memory card.... :X

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I have lied about it. Convinced the doctors that I accidently attempted and that I wasn't actually suicidal. I just knew if they told me the truth I would have been sitting in a psych ward like I have before.. Probably longer that time around... Honestly I kinda regret it now. I could have benefited from some extra help... look at me now.... completely broken.

3. SarahB

SarahB Well-Known Member

I have. When the doctors are doing check ups on me, I lie about a lot of the questions they ask. Like the suicidal one. I'm a sickly person in the first place. And I just seem to get more and more health problems piling up. I don't want to have to deal with anymore, I'm tired of going to doctors and hospitals...

4. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

Had a stupid one once when I told them EVERYTHING blacknwhite which of course was a bad idea and kept me inside for months (had serious suicide thoughts and was hearing voices).

Now though I do know better, (DO NOT!:mhmm:) Seriously, I don't have the strength to convince anymore, normal is normal and that's the way to live. I'm sorry...

5. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

I wish I had lied.Because the truth turned Into a month and half of hell. God, they don't get off your dick.

6. AnotherFallenStar

AnotherFallenStar Well-Known Member

I'm about to at my appointment today. If my doctor knows what I've been doing she'll never leave me alone. I've had enough of being truthful, it's what got me stuck at an eating disorder treatment center. Which was of no help by the way!

7. bring-a-smile-to-you

bring-a-smile-to-you Active Member

Lie, always lie. I now only have to go once every 6 months...if I told them the truth I'd be straight back to 3 sessions a week! At the end of the day those places just make me feel even worse!

8. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

It'd depend, I think. If it got to that point, then obviously I'd need some form of help, but I'd dumb it down quite a lot. Make it sound like it's not as serious as it is. Then I'd get enough help and drugs to help me get better, and get released after not too long. However this isn't from experience, so it's all possible that they'd just not believe me and keep me in anyway. An experiement was conducted where a normal man was put into a mental institution. It took him something like 2 or 3 months to get out (can't remember exact time, but somewhere around that.) So even if there's nothing wrong with you, they don't fucking listen. I'd probably tell them what they want to hear just to get out of the damn place (with the help I also needed).

9. XsweetpoetX

XsweetpoetX Well-Known Member

Ive never lied about it. Im very open about it. Its a part of who I am. If people don't like it,then oh well.

10. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

yes I have lied about it, I partly told the truth and I got shoved over to a different phycologist, put on meds and had my sessions tripled. They never put me in somewhere cause i lied about feeling suicidal and SI, the meds where because I was hearing and seeing stuff that was freaking me out and I was having 'abnormal thoughts' as well. I don't lie too much now but sometimes when I feel vunerable the BS starts almost on it's own. I've also lied to other people about not having any problems at all, but nearly everyone I trust knows because I do sometimes go weird and I need help that I won't look for

11. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

They always keep me longer cause they know I am not telling the truth.

12. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

lie about it - dont trust doctors.

13. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

boo! those things weren't really designed to be eaten! :eek:hmy: (my usb is huge...it's an old Kingston 128mb....bought it when they cost 100 bucks :unsure:)

I complusively lie. It just becomes instinctual when someone even asks "Are you ok?" or "How are you?". All you say is yea alright, or I'm fine.

:dry:

14. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

To a professional...No, no lying. I want to get better and if i lie, i won't.

15. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

If it's just a regular psych or doctors appointment then ya i usually lie or partly tell the truth i honestly try to be honest but i just cant....

However if i'm forced to go to the hospital i figure i'm already there a minimum of 3 days so i might as well atleast *TRY* and be honest. Though last time they were originally going to keep me for over a week atleast but i made a 'miraculous improvement'(i had fallen out with most of the staff and was bloody sick of the place so i stopped partially lying and full on lied about my condition and tried really hard to look as 'normal' as possible.... and apparently it worked or they're super dumb) so they let me out after like 5 days.

I've only walked in to the hospital once voluntarily because OD'd and a friend threatened so i was like 'screw that i'll just go in' and i lied about the amount and the circumstances( i said it was an accident) and they still kept me....

16. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I lied to some degree. I was transported to the psych hospital at 11:35 on September 27th and didn't leave until October 4th. If I didn't lie at all, i'd still be in there right now. I mean.. I did get help and everything, and I had fun going to art every day and eating in the cafeteria (their food was super good), but i'd rather spend all day talking to my boyfriend. I just still have problems that i'll have to work out on my own. They'll get solved sooner or later, but if I stayed for maybe another 1-2 weeks, they'd be solved already.

17. Tonks

Tonks Active Member

I lie about my suicidal idealizations. It would put a real damper on finishing nursing school if I get locked up in a psych ward. Plus, if I actually do it..it won't be survivable. So, I gotta keep going as best I can in the meantime.

18. HighsandLows

HighsandLows Active Member

I lie every day about my depression. I put on a fake 'everything is fine' smile. If anyone asks how I am, I say 'fine'. Fine seems to be acceptable to people. If they asked how I was and I said 'Actually I'm not too good today and feel suicidal, can't sleep, can't work, can just about function at all', I don't think they'd know what to say.

The last major breakdown I had, my mum tried to have me sectioned. GP turned up to assess me. I flipped and screamed at him that of course I was having a rough time. My relationship had just broken up and I was facing being homeless. He turned to my mum and said 'oh she's just stressed'. The thing is that really I know I'm not fit to walk the streets. I'm a danger to myself just waiting to happen. She was right to try and have me sectioned. However I have managed to fool people since then and my favourite word comes out...'yep I'm fine'. I don't think I've done myself any favours by lying though. I play it down, and as a result I just don't get the help I know I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.